WLP005 Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently brewed a pumpkin extract kit by AHS and used WLP005 as my yeast. My OG was 1.062 and I used a 1.8L starter. I pitched the yeast at 65 degrees and aerated the carboy but due to the heat, my carboy shot up to 70 degrees within a manner of minutes. I did the swamp cooling effect and was barely able maintain the temp between 70-72 degrees for 4 hours, then the temp dropped to 66-68 degrees. It's been extremely hot in my area, so I would often find my carboy fermenting at 70 degrees (sometimes 72 but no more), then I would go to the store buy a bunch of ice to drop the temp.

Out of the first 48 hours of fermentation, I would say 6-12 hours the wort was fermenting at 70-72, it's hard to determine how long it was fermenting at high temps because I work and I can't watch my carboy 24/7.

So here are my questions:

Since my primary has been fermenting partially at 70-72 degrees is my beer going to be full of esters and fusels? (in essence crap beer) Or is this strain a yeast a bit more forgiving than others...? What are your experiences with WLP005? Sorry for the long explanation for a couple of questions.

Thanks guys.

Wlp005 is the Ringwood yeast and while it is pretty temperature tolerant as English yeasts go, it really tastes best when used at lower temps (60-64F). At higher ones, expect big fruity aromas and (often) increased diacetyl. However, so long as you pitched enough healthy yeast and had good oxygenation, I wouldn't worry about fusels too much. Although, were your temp readings from the actual fermenting beer or the water bath?

Regardless, give the beer plenty of time in the primary to let the yeast clean up and ensure it properly flocculates. Also, chances are that your beer will turn out 'ok'. Wlp005 can be somewhat forgiving, especially if you pitched low and the beer contains other flavors (spices, ect..).

I wasn't able to get the actual readings from the fermenting beer because I don't have a thermometer that riches that far into my carboy, so I had to go by whatever the thermometer sticker said on the carboy.

Although, when I did pitch, I knew the wort was at 65 because I took a reading before I racked into my carboy.

Latest posts

Back