WLP002 starter doesn't seem to be active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElVirolo

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on brewing a London Pride clone using malt extract - this is my first proper brew ever, so I have very little experience. The recipe I'm using suggests that I use White Labs WLP002 English Ale Liquid Yeast, which I ordered from my supplier. Since the yeast didn't come with an ice-pack, I decided to make a starter. The yeast didn't travel much, three days at most, but I thought making a starter was a reasonable thing to do nonetheless.

I followed some instructions I found on the White Labs website, but the starter doesn't seem to be active at all. The yeast doesn't seem to have developed at all. I may be completely wrong, since this is my first attempt at doing this ever. There is some yeast resting at the bottom of the jar, but there doesn't seem to be any more than what I put in. All the equipment has been sterilised and I've been regularly shaking the jar to oxygenate the liquid. Temperature is 70 F / 21 C.

Here are photos of the starter jar sixteen hours after pitching the yeast :

2m7t9xs.jpg

24vp8wx.jpg

2luwhte.jpg

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

E.V.

Welcome! WLP002 is a highly flocculant yeast and will drop to the bottom. Without a stir plate you must swirl is back into solution. Also, without a stir plate you will not produce as many cells, but that looks pretty good to me.

Either its dead (I doubt), or maybe you missed the fermentation. When you look under the foil can you see any ring of gunk about the liquid level left over from a krausen?

Thank you for your replies. There is no sign of a krausen leftover... What should I do?

How long has it been since you pitched the yeast?
Looks like a liter or quart jar?
How much DME did you use?
This information will help, but it looks like you have a lot of yeast in suspension. A starter that has been going for three days using the shake and swirl method should have completed fermentation. Refrigerate and the yeast will start dropping out of suspension.

Look for flocculation - chunks of yeast at the bottom. Give it a swirl and take a look. It should be fairly obvious. If there are clumps (large or small) it's alive. If there aren't clumps you might have a problem.

I pitched the yeast 24 hours ago. I put a liter of water and 1/2 cup (~128 grams) of DME. When I give the jar a swirl, I do see big chunks of yeast. Does that mean it's okay? Should I refrigerate it now?

Many, many thanks for your helpful replies.

EV.

24 hours is may not be sufficient time for the starter to have finished. If you try to rush it you may lose the benefits of making a starter.

Dead yeast can't flocculate, and the chunks at the bottom of your jar mean everything is doing what it's supposed to. Congrats on your first successful starter! I give mine at least 48hrs before I chill.

I've done quite a few starters, even made big ones for extra starters for future brews with WLP002. It seems to be one of those that is a very calm beginner, but does it's job in the fermenter very well. I have never gotten even the slightest sign of krausen out of this yeast, but I always get huge masses of 'chunks'. I use a stir plate, 2l flask, and let it rock and roll for at least 36, usually 48 hours. Every batch I've used it on starts within a few (6-8) hours, and bubbles away for 4-6 days, and then clears itself up nicely. Sounds like you did an excellent job, even without a stir plate, although I'd recommend getting one, it just makes life easier (tell SWMBO it makes a great Christmas gift.. :D)
Welcome to the addiction! :ban:

It looks to be a good start. Everything I have read seem to indicate that intermittent shaking method for a starter takes at least twice as long as on a stirplate. The length of time on a stirplate seems to be 18 - 24 hours generally. So I would let this one go for 48 hours or so. You should see more progress by then.

Starters also act differently than beers, especially on a stirplate. I have had some where the only visible signs were a change in color and when cold crashed the amount of yeast on the bottom of the flask.

Many, many thanks for your kind messages. It's good to have knowledgeable people to get advice from. I'm glad it is working. I'll try and make myself a stir plate for next time. Can't wait to start the actual brewing process!

Thanks again to everyone,
EV.

It all seems to have worked fine! I pitched the yeast 36 hours ago and the airlock is bubbling nicely! And the wort smells delicious!

Back