WLP001 Divine Aroma?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
My first two ales with WLP001 were BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (a slightly stronger version), and a Yerba Mate ale. They are both awesome (to my taste anyway), and the one thing they have in common is an insanely delicious honey floral aroma that I can only imagine came from the yeast. Is this a characteristic of WLP001? I was expecting a clean, not-yeasty flavor from this yeast, but whatever I got, I'm in love!

Haha, good question! I just ferment at my kitchen's ambient temps, but between may and june it was 65-70 in there the whole time. I think.

001 is about as neutral as ale yeasts come - it would be unusual for it to throw of such a distinct aroma. It's probably one (or a combination) of the ingredients shining through.

Grain bills:

For the Centennial Blonde (ish) : 3.5 gallons
7 lb two row
.75 carapils
.5 vienna
.5 crystal 15

and the Yerba Mate IPA (2ish gallons):
5 lb 2 row
.5 crystal 60
.5 carapils
2 oz yerba mate

they just both have this same aroma, a wonderful aroma, that only comes out when the beer warms up a bit, not right out of the fridge.

Maybe it's the cleanness of the yeast that lets the other flavors shine throught a bit more. Don't know. Maybe I wasn't thinking straight after several of said beers :)

Back