Wlp 566 question ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question regarding wlp566 saison II ...... I have used 565,3711 etc and had great results and I also pushed both into the high 80's-90 with great results and that saison spiciness and I would imagine most brewers would agree saisons benefit from high fermentation temps. Regarding wlp 566 does the same hold true with the temperatures ? The site say max temp 76 degrees but it says the same for 565 and 3711 and we all know that it works great much higher than that. So, that said who had used wlp566 and what's a good temp range for the yeast an should I push it into the 80's like with the other saison strains ? Thanks ?

Ok it's been 2 days with no responses so I'll respond on my own findings so far as I had to do the brew and just am going with my years of experience and tidbits of info online........ this yeast is freaking nuts !!!!! I had a really hard time chilling the wort down as it was push 100 degrees F here in upstate NY and I only have a immersion chiller ( basic 3/8" x 25'). I couldn't get it below 78 degress and my kettle is too big to fit in a sink with a ice bath and to top things off my only swamp cooler is already in use. So long story short I went to plan C which always works great for me the old wet t shirt wrapped completely around the carboy and put a fan on her. got it down to 68 in less than 3 hours !!! I actually think it works better than my swamp cooler for quick temp drops. here's the deal now the Saison is sitting at 71 degrees in full on ferment and on a pretty high Krausen which I read online start it low and let it ramp to 80 over 2-3 days but here at 71 degrees this is going nuts almost to the point of me sanitizing a blow off immediately ( don't know why I'm wasting time writing this ) !!!! at 71 degrees what if I started at 76 !!!! and p.s. it's only been 8 hours. this yeast is a beast.

Aschecte, I agree its a beast. I've only used 1 time but it thoroughly dried out my 3 gallon saison in a matter of days - a week at the outside. Added demerara sugar 2 days into primary and it ripped through it. FG was about 1.002. I went from about 68 up to 80, but honestly don't think it needed the higher temps - I think it was done by the time it hit 78-80. The saison is tasty and I feel has a slightly fruity bent, but it is not overwhelmeing at all. Its just a damn good saison! Refreshing and clearly Belgian. I washed the yeast and will be using again soon. Good luck!

Aschecte, I agree its a beast. I've only used 1 time but it thoroughly dried out my 3 gallon saison in a matter of days - a week at the outside. Added demerara sugar 2 days into primary and it ripped through it. FG was about 1.002. I went from about 68 up to 80, but honestly don't think it needed the higher temps - I think it was done by the time it hit 78-80. The saison is tasty and I feel has a slightly fruity bent, but it is not overwhelmeing at all. Its just a damn good saison! Refreshing and clearly Belgian. I washed the yeast and will be using again soon. Good luck!

I agree! I made a 1.5L starter on a 1.047 OG saison and it was churning away about 8 hours later! I added 14oz of corn sugar on day 3 and by day 5 it was already at 1.004. I don't want to rush it, but do you think I could go ahead and keg this after only a week? Or should I wait the standard 2. Do you remember how fast yours fermented?

Back