WLP 550 for stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Likefully

Reaction score
I have done a few searches about WLP 550 but haven't found anything specific about using it in a stout.

Has anyone had any experience doing so?

I want to make something that is high alcohol - between 12 and 14%. The guys at Candi Syrup have a good imperial stout recipe. I am thinking of doing something similar, which we will be Pale Malt, a lot of chocolate malt, some caramunich and syrup/sugar.

As it is winter here now I have to make an effort to keep the fermentation temp above 20C, but am unlikely to be able to keep it above 24C.

If 550 is not ideal, i also have 530 and 570 - but I don't think the 570 will work well in a stout...but you never know!

I've used Wyeast 3522 (the same strain as WLP550) in a dubbel, keeping the temperature low because I didn't want to many fruity/estery flavours. It fermented well at 17C, from 1.068 down to 1.009, giving a fairly clean ferment with just a hint of spice and fruit. I think it would work well with a stout at low temps, maybe ramping up towards the end to finish off. I have found that at higher temps it can throw 'saisonish' flavours, which probably wouldn't go well in a stout.

I have a couple of brews going using WLP 550 and though neither one is done yet, I'd say using that yeast in a stout just isn't going to work.
The Belgian beer flavor really comes through with this yeast.
Your beer will be a beer, just not taste like a stout.
High alcohol beers have to have a balance between the malt flavors, alcohol level,
yeast character and residual sugar.
But I'm all about experimenting with different things, so I say you should go for it.
Of the 3 yeasts you mentioned the 530 is the most alcohol tolerant, so for an experimental Belgian with a stout malt bill I'd start with that and see how it comes out.

Last edited:
I have a couple of brews going using WLP 550 and though neither one is done yet, I'd say using that yeast in a stout just isn't going to work.

Thanks, at the moment i have a Westmalle 'clone' going with WLP550 and 570 and I can tell for sure the 570 won't work. I am hesitant about the 550 working in a stout too. I haven't bottled them yet.

I think I will give the 530 a spin in the stout then. I am sure it will make a good Abbey Stout!

Out of all of those, I would go with the 550 for a stout. 530 is more fruity and estery which I wouldnt think you'd want. You should probably go with the yeast with the most subdued esters.

I wrap my Belgians in a heavy winter jacket to keep in the heat of fermentation when my rope tub, aquarium heater setup is occupied

There is a local Stout here called Uroboros Stout brewed with Belgian yeast, dark candi sugar and oak spirals it is delicious IDK what yeast they use but I would think WLP550 would be a good choice.

The yeast character is definitely there, but it is subdued I would say you probably want to ferment on the cool side

There is a local Stout here called Uroboros Stout brewed with Belgian yeast, dark candi sugar and oak spirals it is delicious IDK what yeast they use but I would think WLP550 would be a good choice.

The yeast character is definitely there, but it is subdued I would say you probably want to ferment on the cool side

Pairs well with hummus, grass-fed beef, aged cheddar, and dark chocolate

Sounds ridonkulously good!

I'd use a different strain. 550 can go quite dry and it's also too fresh and fruity for a stout IMO.

If you want to do a stout with Belgian yeast and have a choice in yeasts, try Wyeast 3711 and adjust your recipe for finishing around 1.005-1.003. I made a delicious experimental beer with an English stout grain bill, hopped (and dry hopped) like an American IPA and French Saison 3711 yeast. It was very very good.

Back