Wlp 005 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
Wlp 005 was out of date by 2 mo. It has been 9 days and I have gone from 1.05 to 1.02 and It never took off like some people said it did for them. I will check my gravity again in 2 day and see I it is still working. 68-70 degrees is where it has sat and I did not do a starter. Would you re-pitch if it doesn't drop more?

Well it has been 2 days and I am still at 1.020. Would you make a starter out if some of the beer or a starter out of DME and re pitch of just leave it at 4% abv and call it a session beer?

This may be unorthodox, but I have an idea. You could potentially make a starter and try grabbing some yeast cake with a thief.

Depending on the style, you may be okay just leaving it at 1.020 I'm not a fan of sweet beers though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

1.02 sounds way too high unless this is a milk stout. you definitely should have made a starter. if its not moving, i would make a fresh starter and pitch it at high krausen or if ur not in a rush, make another beer and then rack it onto that one's cake

I've heard 005 can be finicky, that it needs lots of oxygen and rousing. I haven't used that yeast much, but I did recently have a couple beers start at 1.05 and finish at 1.02, same as you. I bottled them anyway and they were good for a while but eventually they decided to start fermenting again in the bottles and got overcarbonated to the point that they turned into geysers when I opened them. So I would try getting it down a little further before bottling if possible (assuming you bottle).

I will be kegging this beer. I guess I will just session this one and mark it up as a lesson learned. I do love malty beers and this one sould be malty for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

Latest posts

Back