Wlp 002 (English Ale)Fermenting at 55F ambient.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonbreath11

Reaction score
I was quite surprised by this phenomenon. I have no way to control temps. This weekend I brewed a brown porter and pitched this yeast at 61F which was Sunday. So I decided to put this in my garage which is seperate from my house and unheated. Here in the tri-state area (NJ,NY, CT) it hasn't gone above 50F the last 2 days and has even gone down to 30 at night. Right now it's 47F ambie4nt and the yeast are happily eating the wort (nice bubbling krausen on top). I thought by the least this ale yeast would drop out of suspension or at the least slow down to a crawl. It will be interesting what kind of esters I will get at these temps.

It shouldn't throw many esthers at that temp, but I'd be a bit worried about diacetyl. That yeast floccs out pretty quickly, I usually have to warm it up to get it to finish processing the diacetyl that it's created. I've never fermented it below 55, but I've had it at about 58 ambient during the first few days with no issues. (which was about a 62-63 ferment temp).

It shouldn't throw many esthers at that temp, but I'd be a bit worried about diacetyl. That yeast floccs out pretty quickly, I usually have to warm it up to get it to finish processing the diacetyl that it's created. I've never fermented it below 55, but I've had it at about 58 ambient during the first few days with no issues. (which was about a 62-63 ferment temp).

Yeah I'll definitely throw in a D-rest just to be safe.

Back