WL775 - How To Use And Store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amnesia180

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've received a packet of WL775 - does it need to be stored in the fridge? It's a liquid yeast.

Also, does it need "starting"? And if so, can anyone advise how I would do this.

Cheers!

It does need to be kept in the fridge. If you aren't adding any sugar to your juice, then you can let it warm to room temp, then pitch directly into your 5 gallon batch.

However, White Labs recommends a 2 liter starter for optimal performance. They also recommend using about have juice and half "wort" as the wort will have the necessary nutrients. My juice usually runs around 1.050 but a starter should be between 1.030 and 1.040 so that would require 1 liter of juice, 1 liter of water, and 50 grams of DME.

I figure you would probably be fine with 1.4 liters of juice, .6 liters of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient as well.

It will take 2 days to ferment out the 2-liters (unless you are using a stir plate), then at least a day to cold crash so you will need to plan ahead if you go with a starter. The good news is that you can ferment it out a week ahead and it will be fine stored in the fridge until you need it. Just decant off the liquid then dump the rest in your cider.

Thanks for the advice. I am only making a 1 gallon batch, does this change at all?

I won't be adding any sugar, so I can just take it out of the fridge, open it and pour straight into the 1 gallon demijohn?

It will handle a gallon with no problem. I'd let it get to room temp before dumping it in. Cider does need some nutrient. You can add a teaspoon of yeast nutrient per gallon or some people use dates or raisins instead.

You will also need oxygen. I pour a third of the bottle into the fermentor, then shake the snot out of it and pour in the rest.

Also, when it is done with that gallon, you can save the yeast. It will make enough to do a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the advice. I am only making a 1 gallon batch, does this change at all?

I won't be adding any sugar, so I can just take it out of the fridge, open it and pour straight into the 1 gallon demijohn?

The cider and yeast need to be at the same temperature else you risk damaging the yeast from thermal shock. Let both sit at room temp for a while before pitching.

Back