Witbier and unmalted wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
Bjcp says the grist of a wit should be about 50% unmalted wheat. Sooooo does that mean flaked wheat? Is there another source of unmalted wheat?

Yes, flaked wheat is the choice here. Wits also often feature a portion of oats as well. So you could go something like 50% pils malt, 40% flaked wheat and 10% flaked oats if you like.

I've used raw wheat berries as well, but flaked is probably easier.

Bjcp says the grist of a wit should be about 50% unmalted wheat. Sooooo does that mean flaked wheat? Is there another source of unmalted wheat?

I imagine they would have stated flaked wheat if they meant flaked wheat. Unmalted wheat should be available in any grocery with a bulk section, or in a grain section of most any decent store. Most homebrew shops carry it, too, for a premium.

Wheat is pretty hard, small stuff. Grind it 2-3 times through for best extraction. And get lots and lots of rice hulls.

I imagine they would have stated flaked wheat if they meant flaked wheat.

There's essentially no difference, flaked wheat is just pregelatinized unmalted wheat that allows you to omit a cereal mash and just do a saccharification rest. Same with all of the other flaked, rolled, or torrefied unmalted adjuncts.

To get the most out of using raw wheat it's best to do a cereal mash. I haven't done a direct side-by-side, so maybe it's just psychological, but I feel my wits benefit from the use of raw Soft White Winter Wheat and a cereal mash.

There's essentially no difference, flaked wheat is just pregelatinized unmalted wheat that allows you to omit a cereal mash and just do a saccharification rest.

Yes, steamed and rolled, which gelatinizes the starches. Depending upon the mash schedule, it may or may not act in an identical way. I know enough about mashing to know it's a chemically & biologically complicated process, but not enough to know what difference would be observable in the final product from such a change (berries/flakes).

It's possible to make good beer either way, I'm sure. I suppose the decision should be made based on availability and which would work best in any given system or recipe. I wouldn't use flaked wheat for a turbid mash, but for most single infusion or even step mashes with protein rests? Flaked would probably work. My real concern was OP equating unmalted wheat with flaked wheat. All currently commercially available flaked wheat is unmalted (as far as I'm aware), but not all unmalted wheat is flaked.

Ive used bulk unmalted wheat berries from the grocery store more times that I can count with no hit on my numbers. From what Ive read, wheat should gelatinize at usual mash temps and does not need a cereal mash. I dont see the need to pay LHBS prices for flaked wheat when I can get bulk wheat berries for under a $1/lb.

iqvjO.jpg

Just made a wit with half torrified wheat and half malted wheat. First one, so not sure how it will turn out.

The only time I used unmalted wheat was for a lambic that was brewed 2.5 years ago, but it seemed to go well.

Latest posts

Back