Wit Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Reaction score
I'm planning to use the AHS Anniversary Wit (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12916) mini-mash for my next batch. I have a few questions about the process as I've never done a Witbier before. Would it be OK to add 0.5 lb of Honey Malt to this recipe or would that make it a bit too sweet? I really like the tart tastes of a Wit and don't want to lose those.

Second, I know that longer primary=better, but does that rule hold for Witbiers as well? Right now I was planning to primary for 2 weeks and bottle assuming FG was stable over 3 days, but if aging in the primary for longer will help make better beer I'll go ahead and leave it for 4-5 weeks.

Last question is about the temperature - I'm not sure that I can get my ambient up to 70ish degrees (right in the middle of the range for WLP400) , is it OK to wrap a blanket/some sweatshirts around the primary and monitor temp as it goes along?

Thanks again for all the advice! I'm loving this forum and hopefully after a few more batches I'll have gotten the nervous jitters out and stop asking so many questions...

I've always left my wits for a month, heck most of the time my wits have krausen on them for 3 weeks-even though the gravity was stable. I let them fall naturally. But since the yeast is low flocculating it's still cloudy.

I let my last wit start fermentation at about 67F and let it rise to about 72 by the time it finished.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Latest posts

Back