Wit Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoochNW

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to do a Wit for spring/summer and finally found a solid recipe on this site. (Killer Bee Wit)

I'm a little confused with the different brewing process, have done 2 AG batches (Batch Sparge) so far at 75% Eff so I feel good about the straight forward process but this technique has me a bit flustered. I don't have a HERMS/RIMS system so looking to get this process broken down/converted for a Cooler Mash Tun.

Here is the recipe/directions:

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.007
SRM: 3*
IBU: 17
ABV: 5.7%
4lbs 6-row
4lbs White Wheat
1lb flaked Oats
.5lb Cane sugar
2oz Acid Malt
1oz Vangaurd @ 4.4% 45min
.5oz bitter orange peal 2mins
.5oz Crushed corriander 2mins
1tbsp flour @ flamout
Yeast: Wlp 400

So I'll start with the mash technique. All of the wheat, oats in it's own mash for a protein rest at 122F. 1.7qts/lb of grain for this mash. The rest of the grain (the 6-row and 2oz of acid malt) in your mash tun at 122 as well. 1.25qts/lb for this mash.
Now I rested the decoction mash (wheat, oats) for 15mins and then turned the burner on and brought it up to 148 and rested there for 30mins. Then lit the burner and brought it up to a boil for 15mins. After the boil, I scooped portions of the decoction mash that was boiling into the mash tun to bring the main mash up to 155. Rested that for 45mins and then added the rest of the decoction which brought it to ~170 for mash out. Then lauter and sparge like you normally do. I used 1.33qts/lb for the sparge.

Bueller......?

ben-stein(1).jpg

Back