Wit Beer Recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownRightAft

Reaction score
Here is the recipe I got from Beirmuncher on another thread, I am going to make a wit beer, partial extract:

3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.49 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (Wyeast #3944 or White Labs WLP400) Definitely want a Belgian Wit yeast though.
Mash your flaked wheat at 155 degrees for 60-75 minutes (the longer will up the efficiency and ABV%)

I have not "mashed" anything before, only steeped some crystal malt in my last brew, could I steep the flaked wheat? Or am I going to have to get some AG equipment?

I also have read that some oats would give this type of beer some good flavor and feel, how much oats is recomended, and should it be steeped or mashed?

You need something to convert the flaked wheat. It isn't malted so it won't convert itself. If you use oats, you will need something with sufficient diastatic power to convert the oats as well. A pound of 6-row would convert 2# of flaked wheat and a half pound of oats easily. Knock down the extra light extract by a pound to account for the added fermentables.

See this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag ($2.50 for a 2-pack at the orange big box store) in a pasta pot for my partial mashes and all-grain yeast starters. I just heat the water to 166*F, drop in the grain bag, affix the lid, and stick it in a preheated 155*F oven for one hour. To rinse the grains I drop the bag in a strainer over my pot and slowly add my top-off water through the grains before firing things up for the boil. My efficiency is 75-80% in Beersmith with this method.

Back