Wit Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funnelface

Reaction score
Below is the recipe for the kit I just purchased. I had them add alot more corriander to it this time as the last time I brewed it was barley noticable. I was told not to crush the seeds too much or it would be overpowering. So I went home and busted em to dust and still didn't get the desired flavor. On another wit thread people were saying 1oz so that what I went with. Anyways, I's curius as to when to add it or should I just follow what this recipe says for maximum flavor. Also, how do you zest, and when. I'm thinking about using some fresh organic orange peel. Zest it or secondary? Any variations on Times? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Ben

4lbs Wheat LME 3/4 oz. Willamette 60
2 lbs Pale LME 1/2 oz Willamette 15
3/4 oz Bitter Orange Peel
4oz Aromatic malt 1/2 oz Corriander seed 15
4oz Wheat malt 1/4 oz Cascade :01
1/2 oz Bitter Orange Peel :01
1/2 oz Corriander seed :01

I used an oz on my first wit beer that was pounded but not quite to dust and it came through great. Not too strong, not too weak. Just right...I added at 5 minutes before the end of the boil.

There are zesting implements out there. You should be able to find at your local grocery store or at the least a kitchen/bed/bath-type store. When zesting be careful not to get the pith. Pith is the white stringy stuff under the orange of the orange peel. It will add a undesirable bitterness.

I leave both the coriander and the orange peel in until the last second before I pour into the bucket.

Hope this helps...

:tank:

No problem, bro. Next time you plan on coming up this way hit me up with a message. Maybe we can share a few home brews and brew!

:tank:

Back