Wish me luck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
So, tomorrow at noon I have an interview at a local brewpub for an assistant brewer position. I'm super excited.

Other than hoping the interview goes well, I'm really hoping the hours are flexible enough to work with my schedule as a full time grad student. If it doesn't work out schedule-wise, then it won't matter if they think I'm completely awesome.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll be sure to report back after the interview.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Itd be interesting to learn some new things about brewing on that scale. I just hope the position is more than just lugging grain sacks,etc.

I fully expect the job description will be mostly cleaning and hauling around ingredients and equipment. Lifting dusty sacks of grain and shoveling messy spent grain.

Sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than working in retail or fast food while I'm in school.

Well, the interview went well, but the position is full time. I was up front about my scheduling and availability, and they said it was possible to work with that.

Anyway, they have 4 more interviews today, so I probably won't find out anything today.

What kind of questions do they ask you at an inter-brew-view? It's a path I might want to travel at some point.

The first question was if I wanted a beer. They were almost encouraging me to have one. I declined, though.

They asked me why I was interested. They painted the picture of a messy pain in the ass job and asked if that was really what I wanted to do. They asked what kind of beer I like. They asked what kind I like to brew.

Other than discussing my availability, that was pretty much it. And I got the feeling that such a short interview was not a bad sign, like it might be in a lot of situations.

How hard was it to pass on that beer? I got a job as a bouncer once based off of how I chugged a beer, but that's a different story

Probably a good idea to say no. I could see that being a good test to weed out the guys that just think working at brewery entails drinking beer.

It wasn't that hard to pass up the beer. I am a singer and had a rehearsal a little later in the day, so that beer would've screwed me up for that.

Anyway, haven't heard anything yet. I'm guessing I'll hear something by the beginning of next week.

Well, I got an email tonight. They offered the job to somebody else. I'm not terribly surprised. I'm guessing my availability issues played a big part in my not getting the job. Oh well.

They said they'd keep my info on file. Maybe if they need somebody part-time in the future, I might have a chance at that.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the position. Hopefully something part time will open up.

I guess I would have asked what the intent of the beer was. Drinking it could have given you a chance to talk about that specific beer and what you liked and disliked. Picking out some particular flavors might have given you some bonus points, especially if you're not familiar with their brews already. I'm just speculating, but you could have asked for a flight glass. Anyway, it's too bad you didn't get the job. If you can dedicate a few hours a week upfront, you could consider volunteering just to get a little experience.

Oh, I'm plenty familiar with their beers. :D I wouldn't have needed to taste it on the spot to describe the flavors.

You should try to brew clones of their beers and send them a few. Maybe if you already know how to brew there beer, they could find a spot for you ;)

I don't honestly believe this, but it would be a good story to tell your friends. Haha!

I was kinda thinkin' along the same lines as barley bob. Maybe it was a test of sorts to try the beer. They might've wanted to know if you tasted what they did...or better?!:mug:

Latest posts

Back