Wiring up my new brew controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogpoundbrewery

Reaction score
My new control panel is set up for a 30 amp 4 wire plug . I have a dedicated 30 amp circuit but it is only a three wire . I've been told I could tie the ground and the neutral wire together on the cord from the controller going to the receptacle plug . My questions is I have 2 110 pump switches in my control panel will they work or should I switch the ground to the neutral bar and run another ground back to the box .

Is your 3 wire line H-H-N or H-H-G? If you have N you can use the 3 in, 4 out spa panel to get a GFCI and to derive working, if not ideal or code compliant 120v circuits. If it is a ground, you really should confine yourself to 240v circuits. You should not use your ground as a current carrying conductor during normal operation.

No I have H-H-G it's an old house still has a fuse box . It has an old style dedicated 30 amp breaker for a dryer . I replaced the wire and the receptacle . Guess I'll bite the bullet and have my friend who's a licensed electrician change the fuse panel over to a new box with breakers and a sup panel or spa panel .

No I have H-H-G it's an old house still has a fuse box . It has an old style dedicated 30 amp breaker for a dryer . I replaced the wire and the receptacle . Guess I'll bite the bullet and have my friend who's a licensed electrician change the fuse panel over to a new box with breakers and a sup panel or spa panel .

Are you sure that the dryer circuit is not HHN? That is more typical. In any case, if you are going to run a new circuit, run HHNG. That would be ideal.

I'll check it when I get home tonight . Let's say I'm wrong I certainly could be . If I have H-H-N can I run my controller if I run a ground from the receptacle back to the fuse box ? Thanks for any help guys .

After taking everything back apart and checking the panel and wiring I have three wires H-H -N . Is it common not to have s ground ?

After taking everything back apart and checking the panel and wiring I have three wires H-H -N . Is it common not to have s ground ?

Older dryer circuits did not have a dedicated ground and bonded the neutral to the dryer chassis. This is grandfathered in, but violates code for a new installation.

I'll check it when I get home tonight . Let's say I'm wrong I certainly could be . If I have H-H-N can I run my controller if I run a ground from the receptacle back to the fuse box ? Thanks for any help guys .

If you can a run a separate ground, that would be great. Note that if you are powering a dryer and add the ground you will have to remove the neutral from the dryer chassis.

Your other option is a GFCI spa panel with 3 in, 4 out. If you haven't seen that, search this forum.

Thank you jeffmeh its an old dedicated circuit that's not being used anymore but I'm going to wire a spa panel in to be on the safe side anyways . Thanks

Back