Wiring help needed for AAW motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I got my All American Ale Works motor last night and I'm a little confused on how to wire it. The diagram on the motor doesn't agree with the website wiring diagram. There are only 4 wire shown on the website wiring diagram, but the label on the motor shows 6!

See pics. Can anyone help?

20170928_110850.jpg

20170928_112443.jpg

I don't see any website wiring diagram, and it would help to know what voltage you're planning to use...although it sort of looks like 2 and 1 are the AC input terminals.

Also, what's up with that red wire hanging out there like that?

Okay, I think I have it figured out after talking to AAW. The wiring diagram on the motor is correct and I need the low volt option for 110 V. The diagram shows the rotation direction on the bottom. For CCW direction, wire the hot (thru a SPST switch) to wires 1, 3, 5 and neutral to wires 2, 4, 6. For CW direction, wire the hot (thru a SPST switch) to wires 1, 3, 6 and neutral to wires 2, 4, 5. Basically, just change wires 5 and 6 for direction.

They supply a terminal block to aid in wiring this and it came from the factory with some wires unconnected to the terminal block. Since I want to wire this as a reversible motor, I'm connecting wires 1 and 3 to one terminal, wires 2 and 4 to one terminal, 5 to a terminal and 6 to a terminal. Then, I connect these to a DPDT switch (after a SPST switch) to change the polarity on wires 5 and 6.

[...]Since I want to wire this as a reversible motor, I'm connecting wires 1 and 3 to one terminal, wires 2 and 4 to one terminal, 5 to a terminal and 6 to a terminal. Then, I connect these to a DPDT switch (after a SPST switch) to change the polarity on wires 5 and 6.

fwiw, you could do everything with a single DPDT center-off switch...

Cheers!

fwiw, you could do everything with a single DPDT center-off switch...

Cheers!

I'm not so sure. Wires 1,3 are always on hot and wires 2,4 are always on neutral. Wires 5 and 6 switch between hot and neutral depending on direction. I don't see how to accomplish this with a center-off DPDT switch.

See my schematic for the wiring I used.

View attachment MillMotorWiring.pdf

Back