Wiring a motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Interested in purchasing a decent malt mill motor. I've probably settled on a motor from All American Ale Works.

However, at the website I see
"NOTICE: Correct wiring of the Power Grinder grain mill motor is required. Wiring of the motor will vary depending on the application in which the motor is used (direction of shaft rotation and 110 V or 220 V). Consultation with a licensed electrician who is familiar with motor wiring is strongly recommended. "

Hmm...

I send email to [email protected] indicating I'm interested in purchasing a motor an ask for wiring info. In a reply I'm told to contact a professional electrician. Obviously, we have too many, ambulance chaser, lawyers and this is why All American Ale Works won't even provide a wiring schematic or info.

This leads me to my question. If I purchase a All American Aleworks motor, how do I wire the motor?

How do I wire the motor with a drum switch?

Thanks.

Well...as I edited, it may not be much of a gain on the play. Sorry I may have jumped the gun.
Eg: if you're going to use 220VAC, that page doesn't provide a solution.

You may be best served googling the wiring. I know I've seen that motor with fancy switches on HBT, with any luck with wiring diagrams...

Cheers!

I have the All American Ale Works motor and it does have the wiring diagram on the faceplate.

When I ordered my motor (several years ago) I spoke with them regarding the drum switch and they did not see a need for it since on the rare occasion that you need to reverse the grain mill you can turn the shaft by hand. After using my grain mill I agree with this, no need for a reversing switch.

Gotta say, not being up front with proper wiring schemes is pretty dickish of American Ale Works (got that, Google?)
As an electrical engineer (computer architecture and design stuff, but still) for 47 years I can't recall seeing such poor basic product support like that...

Cheers!

Gotta say, not being up front with proper wiring schemes is pretty dickish of American Ale Works (got that, Google?)
As an electrical engineer (computer architecture and design stuff, but still) for 47 years I can't recall seeing such poor basic product support like that...

Cheers!
I suppose that all it would take is one lawsuit to become defensive.

In my career I dealt with literally thousands of components which came with specs that included recommended connection topologies.
It was expected, actually. It's difficult for me to reconcile the viability of a lawsuit from following CORRECT usage diagrams.

Which makes me wonder: perhaps American Ale Works sourced a motor without the first clue of what they were buying and rather than take the time to come up with solid connection advise just decided to stub that effort and essentially sell the motors with a "GFY" smooch.

Nice...

A lawsuit theoretically could be from giving someone a wiring diagram who isn't qualified to wire a motor let alone read a wiring diagram.

I am an EE who works in the power generation industry. I am use to dealing with trained professionals who can not only wire to a schematic but who also knows the proper type and gauge wire to use and following safety precautions (don't wire the circuit live). Granted we are dealing with 120VAC but in my industry 480V is considered low voltage.

When your target market is the general public you don't know the abilities of the individual who is attempting wiring up the motor. AAW must be taking the approach assume that they don't know what they are doing. Anyone who can read a motor circuit wiring diagram wouldn't need to contact AAW to ask how to wire the motor.

Back when I bought my AAW motor, they provided detailed info on wiring the motor as well as the drum switch, I no longer see that info on their website, hence my theory that something must have happened or they were advised to take it down.

Fellow Brewers, Thanks for discussing the electrical wiring issue. Anybody who has tried to order electrical components knows that unless YOU specify what you want, the retailer WILL NOT provide advice or instructions - for legal reasons. Unfortunately, anybody can sue anybody for anything, so everybody should be cautious. As unbelieveable as it may be, some of our fellow brewers seem to not know which end of a screwdriver to hold. The motors come ready to connect. A wiring diagram is on every motor. Wiring for 220 V current is different than for 110 V current. Shaft rotation direction is changed by swapping two wires, which is why a drum switch can be used. Any time any customer has CALLED us to ask about wiring, we have been HAPPY to explain, since incorrect wiring will fry the capacitors. The wiring is VERY simple. Incorrect connections will cause problems, so for that reason - and the potential for legal entanglements - we provide only "suggestions" and encourage all of our customers to consult with a licensed electrician who is familiar with motor wiring. Hope this helps. Happy Brewing!

Sure! Here is a photo of the spec plate which comes on every motor. It shows the wiring diagram for both 110 V ("low volt") and 220 V ("high volt"). It also shows the wiring combinations for both clockwise and counter clockwise motor shaft rotation (identified with an arrow indicating direction of rotation). If you need help with wiring, please call 970-GET-BEER. Thanks, and Happy Brewing!

Attachments

• motor plate.jpg
    motor plate.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 35

Attachments

• 20210910_141159.jpg
    20210910_141159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210910_141211.jpg
    20210910_141211.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210910_141218.jpg
    20210910_141218.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210910_141228.jpg
    20210910_141228.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210910_141253.jpg
    20210910_141253.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210910_141258.jpg
    20210910_141258.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Without soft start an electric motor draws a lot of current initially (moment of inertia and all that).
That motor nameplate is for the 1HP motor, I have the 1/2 HP motor and the maximum draw is 6.6 amps.
I'm not sure what size motor the OP is looking to buy but the 1/2 HP 110V motor has a different wiring diagram.

That is correct! And it is a very important difference. 110 V wiring is completely different that 220 V wiring. Also, 220 V current in Europe (and other parts of the world) is different than the 220 V current in the US (split phase vs. singe phase). Just another reason to consult with a licensed electrician who is familiar with motor wiring. We are NOT electricians - or EE's - so we will not give "instructions" on how to wire someone's investment. These are high end motors, and not a simple plug and play. They are versitile, and powerful. They will last a lifetime if they are wired correctly and not subjected to power spikes and other conditions which will fry capacitors. We are HAPPY to discuss all of the variables, so please feel free to call any time. :)

Sure! Although you will need to wire your drum switch in accordance with the instructions which come with the switch, the wiring of the motor is very simple, and straight forward - basically what is shown on the spec plate. Many of our fellow brewers have had their electrician call us to confiirm the correct wiring, which is a good thing, since we recommend that every end user consult with a licensed electrician who is familiar with motor wiring. We will be happy to help if neeeded. Please call us if you have questions. Thanks.

I think they have the label printed backwards. The 18.2 rating would be for the 110v application. It would draw half the current (9.1A) at the higher voltage.

Latest posts

Back