Wiring Help - Digitial Volt Meter / Ammeter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jps101

Reaction score
Ok, ya'll need some help. Just purchased a dual volt meter / ammeter. I have been able to figure out the wiring for power and it is reading correctly. However, I cannot figure out the ammeter portion. I am attaching a couple o f screen shots hoping this will help.

Thanks

image.jpg

Did it come with the current transformer? You need to wire the transformer as shown in the diagram. One of your hot wires will go through the inside of the transformer. Then just run your two hots to whatever you're going to power. Here's another diagram from ebay (note they call it a mutual inductor). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-AC-...273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5656ad5bd9

Now I'm annoyed that I bought separate volt and ampmeters (and cut the holes in my panel already)!

Well now I am really confused. I am pretty sure I wired it correctly and no go. I will take a few pics and post hopefully that will help.

Here are a few pictures.

First you can see the system has power and volt meter is reading 241. That seems to be working fine. I have powered up everything and while hte element is not connected, I would think I should still see some sort of reading on the Ammeter portion. Thus leading me to believe I have wired it wrong.
image1.jpg

Next pic, shows the inside. Orange circle is the transformer. I have one of the load wires that goes from the wiring block to the contactor. You should be able to see that the wire goes through the hole in the transformer.
image2.jpg

Next we have the back of the volt/ammeter. Power comes directly off of the wiring block. The green wires are pig tailed to the transformer.
image3.jpg

Last pic is just a wider shot of the insides.
image4.jpg

Thanks

What, if anything, would cause a current draw on your red line? And how much of a draw? It looks like your ammeter has a one-amp resolution--even if everything shown lit up is fed off that line (rather than the black), it's likely to draw only a small fraction of an amp. Even assuming a perfectly-accurate ammeter (which it isn't), it wouldn't register anything until you're drawing at least half an amp.

I don't see that you have 60 watts' worth of stuff (half an amp on a single 120V leg) running, so it looks fine so far.

An update for those that are interested. Completely hard wired and getting positive reading. Had to plug in an electric drill to get a reading but reading nonetheless. Will brew this weekend and should be fun to watch the numbers move around.

Loving the electric brewery.

Thanks to all who came before me and blazed a path to follow.

Yep. You pretty much need a load on the circuit to register anything regarding amps. Volts on the other hand are either there... or not there.

The CT on the ammeter basically transform the voltage and current into something that your little readout screen can present to you. Thats all it does. The Current Transformer does need a load (or something hooked up) in order to read anything though. Otherwise there is no current period.

Latest posts

Back