wiring a Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fire943

Reaction score
I'm very new. i have one batch bottled, one in the primary, getting ready for another (Kolsch). I have gotten the Bug. Anyway, It is warming up here in Florida and I will need to keep the the beer cooler then 75 degrees that I keep the closet I ferment the beer. I am using extracts while adding grains and hops for finishing.

So the question, How do I wire a fridge to keep the beer cooler? I will make the switch to lager (when I have more experience) so having something that can do both would be awesome.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
Not sure about the fridge question, but in order to keep the temp below 75 degrees, you can use a water bath. I use an old hot tub, fill the water to about 3/4 up the outside of the fermenting tank. I keep the water cool by adding a couple of large ice blocks to the water each morning. You can use a couple of tuperware dishes filled with water to make your ice blocks.

UYLDAR

Reaction score
You will want to buy a aftermarket thermostat (t-stat) that has a range including your temp. You can get them pre-wired or you can "insert" it in the fridge's power cord if that is a skill set you have.

Just google the forum for thermostat or t-stat or locate one at your homebrew store or refrigeration supply house.

D

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
The easiest way is to buy a pre-wired temperature control unit. Just plug your fridge into that and set the controller to your desired temp. There are a few options; digital, analog (dial), dual temperature, or even unwired units you can DIY. I bought this one from my LHBS:

Austin Homebrew Supply

A normal size fridge will hold 1-2 carboys/buckets. Some people also use chest freezers for fermenting/lagering. I've build my own fermentation chamber, which accomodates 3 carboys and uses a mini-fridge as the cooling source.