Wintergreen/cedar character in hoppy beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10_degrees_play-doh

Reaction score
I've noticed in a few commercial beers a sort of clean, wintergreen/cedar/spearmint flavor. Examples that come to mind are Green Flash's Cedar Plank, Treehouse Brewing's Sap and Fox Farm's Verdant. I've heard of mint being an off-flavor, but in these examples it's definitely a good flavor. What might lend to said flavors in a beer? Is it simply the hops used? Certain combinations of hops? "Biotransformation" of hop oils? Specific hop oils to look out for? Water chemistry? All of the above?

To me, those characteristics have hops written all over them. It is a combination of hop varieties, addition interval, do they whirlpool hop, do they dry hop? I would write the brewers for some insight.

Green Flash puts cedar wood in it, or ages it in cedar. That's where the name came from.

Additionally, I've heard that some hops, like Polaris, have mint/wintergreen-ish characters.

Thanks for the suggestions! After a little more research, it looks like Chinook in high percentages may be a major contributor as well... Some experimentation is in order, methinks...

Back