Wintergreen Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to use a packet of wintergreen leaves I picked up at my home brew store on an impulse many months ago. Anybody have any ideas as to what kind of beer might work best with this ingredient? I have found very little information on using wintergreen leaves in beer and could use some help. I was thinking maybe a wintergreen wheat? Any suggestions?

Honestly I'm not sure what Wintergreen tastes like. I see lots of conflicting info about it's flavor, seems folks mix it up with 'wintergreen oil' - I assume it's not minty in any way...? Maybe make up a little tincture with leaves and vodka then add a few drops to some commercial beers to sample?

I'd be curious to hear your description of the aroma/flavor of this stuff btw.

- Mike

Ok I've finally decided how to use my packet of wintergreen leaves...

I'm in the process of brewing a Wintergreen Saison!

I've started with a simple Belgian Saison recipe: Pilsner malt, some Munich, Vienna, wheat, and a dash of Belgian Aromatic Malt. For hops I'm going with Sterling, Saaz, and Tettnanger. Also throwing in a pound of Belgian Candi sugar to dry it out. Using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison.

I'm going to throw in some wintergreen leaves at flame out. And hopefully ferment this in the mid 80s. I've been waiting for a month to get another heat wave up in Vermont and it's finally forcasted to get to 87 for the next 5 days straight.

Only problem is SWMBO wants me to put an air conditioner in the living room, 20 feet from my brewing closet...I'm going to stall as long as I can!

Ok I've finally decided how to use my packet of wintergreen leaves...

I'm in the process of brewing a Wintergreen Saison!

I've started with a simple Belgian Saison recipe: Pilsner malt, some Munich, Vienna, wheat, and a dash of Belgian Aromatic Malt. For hops I'm going with Sterling, Saaz, and Tettnanger. Also throwing in a pound of Belgian Candi sugar to dry it out. Using Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison.

I'm going to throw in some wintergreen leaves at flame out. And hopefully ferment this in the mid 80s. I've been waiting for a month to get another heat wave up in Vermont and it's finally forcasted to get to 87 for the next 5 days straight.

Only problem is SWMBO wants me to put an air conditioner in the living room, 20 feet from my brewing closet...I'm going to stall as long as I can!

I had the same idea but with some birch, which was used to make "wintergreen oil." HOW DID YOURS TURN OUT?????

This seems to not be very common in beer. I posted a thread a few days back with no responses :( and just stumbled upon this one.

I am thinking of a chocolate/wintergreen stout. I've collected quite a few leaves already but haven't seen any berries yet.

I guess I could make a tea, tincture, add leaves/berries to the boil, add leaves/berries to the secondary... It seems heat is necessary to extract the oils so secondary may not do much.

Anyone have any experience here? Or even an educated guess?

This seems to not be very common in beer. I posted a thread a few days back with no responses :( and just stumbled upon this one.

I am thinking of a chocolate/wintergreen stout. I've collected quite a few leaves already but haven't seen any berries yet.

I guess I could make a tea, tincture, add leaves/berries to the boil, add leaves/berries to the secondary... It seems heat is necessary to extract the oils so secondary may not do much.

Anyone have any experience here? Or even an educated guess?

I think this sounds pretty good. I'd be tempted to go with a tincture. Maybe grind up the leaves and berries with some vodka and let it sit for a couple days and then add it just before packaging

Latest posts

Back