Winter Stout Fun! "Moompa Loompa Orange Chocolate Milk Stout"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
Very excited about this! It's happily bubbling away in the primary as we speak.
I used another tried-and-true victory stout recipe I've made as the base, and then added a bunch of fun stuff to it!

Moompa Loompa Stout: 5.25 gal. OG 1.064 FG predicted 1.018 ibu's 42

5 lbs. extra light dme
2 lbs. chocolate malt
1.5 lbs. victory malt
1 lb. flaked oats
1 lb. lactose sugar
.5 lb. special-B malt

.75oz. warrior @ FWH - 31 ibu
1oz. Amarillo @ 20 - 11 ibu

S-05 (2 packets)

4oz. orange peel steeped in 6 cups water for hours and added at flameout
3oz. cacao nibs steeped w/ orange peels and added at flameout

Mash @ 152 degrees for 45 min.
Boil 90 min.
Primary @ 62 degrees 10 days
Secondary @ 70 degrees 5 days
Cold crash/keg @ 48 degrees

*62 degrees sounds way too low for S-05, but I love fermenting them low and slow. It always gives me a very clean ester-free beer.

Moved to secondary yesterday. Chocolate flavor is spot on perfect...but I would make a few tweaks in other areas.

There was veeeeery little orange flavor, so I suppose I lost most of it when adding it to flameout. I'm adding some more extract to the keg to get the result I want.

Hops are more present than they should be. I thought the Amarillo would add some complex fruit flavors, but it came across as regular bitterness. I would probably to .5 oz warrior at FWH and forgo any other additions.

It fermented down to 1.021, not the 1.018 I thought it would, but that's neither here nor there for me. Ended up at 5.5%

Hope this helps someone out there! Happy brewing!

I use Mt. Hood and Fuggles in my stout . I think it's about 25 ibu . In the 40's is almost IPA ish , but that's my taste . Try making a tincture with the orange peels . I just made a tincture with orange peels and vanilla beans . It soaked for about 4 weeks and man it came out wonderful . I usually do tinctures with nibs as well and turns out really nice . How was this without roasted barley? Did the special B take its place? I love chocolate orange so I'm going to try this out eventually. Thanks for posting the recipe.

I usually go with Challenger in my stouts, but I love Warrior in other beers I've brewed so I figured I'd give it a try. A lower aau hop would have probably been best :)

I found in the last couple stouts/porters I've made that if you overload the grain bill with chocolate and victory malt, you get a beautiful toasted flavor with no astringent bite. I do love roasted barley, but I wanted this to be a bit smoother...of course I sort of mucked that idea up when I got a little heavy handed with my hops. I prefer my beers on the hop-side of things anyway, so I really enjoy this beer...but I was making it for myself AND my friends for the colder months, so I don't know if they'll feel the same.

If you brew something similar, leave your recipe!

I did a Cherrywood Smoked stout a while back and have done it again last week. But this time I am adding some cocoa nibs to bring in a little more flavor.

This is the original partial extract recipe and it ages beautifully and I even get a hint of a bourbon note in it for some reason. I recommend brewing and letting it age for several months.

Adjustments.jpg

Classy looking recipe! How smoky did it come out - subtle or a little loud?

I've never gotten around to using Carafa, but it's usage and testimonials speak for themselves.

Classy looking recipe! How smoky did it come out - subtle or a little loud?

I've never gotten around to using Carafa, but it's usage and testimonials speak for themselves.

I didn’t get much smoke in it. I got much more cherry then smoke.

The idea actually came from the cherrywood smoked grains. I was in my LHBS and caught a whiff. Reminded me of the smell of the inside of my Big Green Egg. I said I have to do a stout with them. Took one of my beer guys recipes and we tweaked it and got that recipe.

Back