Winter Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
I'm brewing a high ABV Winter Saison this weekend using WLP590 and wanted to share my recipe and post a few questions/comments.

-How fast does this yeast reach final gravity? I plan on priming it in the keg and allowing it to condition at ambient temp 70-75F as soon as it reaches FG.

-What attenuation should I expect this this strain mashing at 148F? I estimated 88% attenuation and 1.006 FG.

For the hops I'm hoping the combination of EKG and Hallertau Blanc provide an interesting aroma and that the Belgian Pale Ale gives a slightly maltier profile than the more commonly used Pilsner malt.

I tried to make it a simple recipe that is still interesting/complex, let me know what you think. Thanks!

Capture.JPG

Couple of opinions if you are looking for an authentic crispy and refreshing Saison. I wouldn't go above 25 IBU and go easy on the late addition. Balance the malt but let the yeast shine through, don't over power it. I'm not a fan of the higher alcohol. I love Saison's, I don't want to sip only one or two from an 8 ounce tulip glass. But that's personal preference. At almost 9% it will definitely keep someone warm in the winter.

Malt ratio's look good. Mash temp is good (dryin' it out). The Blanc hops sound like an excellent choice! Fermentation temp is a major factor in Saison. Cooler is boring and bland. Let it get into the low 80's if it can (with 3711, the 90's is fine). Saison yeast is a very different animal.

If you want wicked attenuation, use 3711 and expect 1.002 to 1.000. It's less peppery than 590, but a little funkier (not Brett funky though, just good old Saison funky) and tad more citrusy. The 3711 is also more tolerant to higher alcohol levels than 590. You might see 88% with 590, my gut says 82 to 84 would be more realistic. Totally your choice of what your taste buds enjoy more.

Let us know how it turns out!

Couple of opinions if you are looking for an authentic crispy and refreshing Saison. I wouldn't go above 25 IBU and go easy on the late addition. Balance the malt but let the yeast shine through, don't over power it. I'm not a fan of the higher alcohol. I love Saison's, I don't want to sip only one or two from an 8 ounce tulip glass. But that's personal preference. At almost 9% it will definitely keep someone warm in the winter.

Malt ratio's look good. Mash temp is good (dryin' it out). The Blanc hops sound like an excellent choice! Fermentation temp is a major factor in Saison. Cooler is boring and bland. Let it get into the low 80's if it can (with 3711, the 90's is fine). Saison yeast is a very different animal.

If you want wicked attenuation, use 3711 and expect 1.002 to 1.000. It's less peppery than 590, but a little funkier (not Brett funky though, just good old Saison funky) and tad more citrusy. The 3711 is also more tolerant to higher alcohol levels than 590. You might see 88% with 590, my gut says 82 to 84 would be more realistic. Totally your choice of what your taste buds enjoy more.

Let us know how it turns out!

I like the suggestions I'll go lighter on the hops maybe I'll focus more on the Hallertau and bring the abv closer to 8% too. I agree on the fermentation temp, I'll aim for the low 80's with 590 and see how it attenuates.

Will post pictures and results as it goes. I plan on brewing this weekend to have it ferment in primary through 11/30 and then leaving it to prime and condition for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back