Winter all grain to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogslapbrewery

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I normally brew up all grain but this winter has been a pretty snowy (buffalo NY) Now I'm starting to run low and thought I could brew some extract indoors to hold me over. Could I just take my recipes and replace the base malt with DME and steep the specialty as usual? I was thinking of doing a 3 gallon boil, adding half the extract then the rest last 15 mins. Have the remaining 2-3 gallons of water boiled on the side to bring me up to the 5 gallon level? When I'm steeping my specialty grain should I pay attention to water/grain ratio or since theirs no conversion is it not required? I also heard if you do a mini mash of 2 row with your extract and the enzymes will convert remaining sugars giving you a more dry beer, Anyone ever time this method also anything else I should watch out for??

I'm in the same spot. Pipeline's running low, so I decided to do a quick extract batch just for yuks. (Really, I just want to try out my new chiller with an easy batch, but that's another story.)

Anyway, I toyed with the idea of converting my recipes to extract, but ultimately said "screw it" and chose a Northern Brewer kit that's made specifically with extract in mind. (As a bonus, it's one of Northern Brewer's 20-minute boil recipes, so it'll be in the pipeline fast!)

Nice! Yeah I have a lb of cascade in the freezer and bunch of random specialty grains in my tote so figured I could throw together something quick and tasty!

Yeah I have a puny stove from the 80s that would struggle. I do have two heat sticks but only use them to heat strike water as fear of scorching the wort.

I don't do a lot of extract brewing anymore, but when I do it is often one of those 20 minute boils - quick and easy and fills the pipeline. I do half the LME to start and add the rest along with any DME with 5 min to go.

Try the "counter top partial mash" method on Brew Your Own. Excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back