Winter Ale secondary spice additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomwhit19

Reaction score
I currently have a winter style ale in primary fermentation. I am planning on transferring to a secondary in 10-14 days and letting it sit for at least 2 weeks before kegging. While in secondary I am going to be adding some spices to give it that festive spirit and my question is when adding these spices, is there a way to add them in a sanitary manner? or just toss everything in and hope nothing happens?

I don't think spices have bugs but you might want to boil them in some water so they dissolve fully.

Word of advice, go small then add more if needed.
It takes a lot less than you think to ruin a beer with spices.
Last one I made I had to dump because it burned my throat when I drank it and I used the amount the recipe called for.

Even mixing it half and half in the glass with another similar beer didn't work so well.
Ended up dumping it.

Which spices?

Another option is to mix the spices with a little vodka or everclear to sanitize and extract, then throw that in.

Just like widget said . Go low on the spices. I did a spiced apple cider and I used whole spices . That's what you want . Cinnamon sticks, Anice, orange peel , clover and jamaican all spice. Make sure its whole spices . I boiled a little bit of water put the spices in . I then put em in a muslin bag then put in the secondary along with the cup of boiled water that had pulled a little of the spice . If you use powder it may be a bit hazy. It is very easy to use too much spice . I used too much clove in mine .

Vanilla extract, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg powder, ginger root
Go very light with all of that. Vanilla extract is strong, and cinnamon can be over powering. Have you looked into mulling spices? I used some in a Winter beer last year, but I used them in the boil. I used the whole pack, and although I didn't make a Winter spiced beer this year, I have notes to dial back the spices.

Go very light with all of that. Vanilla extract is strong, and cinnamon can be over powering. Have you looked into mulling spices? I used some in a Winter beer last year, but I used them in the boil. I used the whole pack, and although I didn't make a Winter spiced beer this year, I have notes to dial back the spices.

the recipe i based mine off of called for 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 full vanilla bean, 1 oz of ginger root, it didnt call for nutmeg i was going to add that on my own.

i was researching it and found out that 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract equals roughly 2" of vanilla bean stalk, so i was going to do 2 teaspoons of vanilla, 2 cinnamon sticks, .5 oz of ginger root, and maybe 1.5 teaspoon of nutmeg once i rack to secondary and let it sit for 2 weeks in the secondary then cold crash for 3 days to get any remaining yeast and spices to settle out, and that should put it roughly ready right at Christmas

I would add them and try the beer after a few days to see how strong everything tastes. Two weeks might be too long on the spices.

I'm planning on adding my spices (cloves, allspice, and pumpkin pie spice) to a 12oz bottle and adding 1/2 cup of captain morgans, then capping it. Will get shaken up several times a day for 4 days then will strain out the spices and add the liquor to the fermenter. That way I can taste it before adding to see how strong it gets. If I don't use all of it might save the rest for adding to baking. I also added spices at 15 minutes to end of boil, and my garage this morning still smells wonderful.

You probably don't need 1/2 cup. Put your spices in and then just add enough rum to suspend them. Let it soak for a few days. Too much rum will make the beer taste boozy. I usually only need 3 or 4 oz. When it has soaked a while, dump the whole thing into the fermenter once fermentation is done.

Not to be snarky, but 1/2 cup is 4oz....lol. Will probably go a little less anyway. I keep meaning to get it going when I get home from work (two jobs sun-mon-tues get home late zzzzzzzz) but it keeps getting put off. Airlock was still bubbling last night when I checked anyway.

Latest posts

Back