Wine Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple years ago, at Christmas time my Mom called ahead to see if I had any wine to go with dinner. I told her I only had a big bottle of cheap wine that I was using to smoke the turkey with. She said she had some really good wine and would bring it for Christmas dinner.

She brought the same kind! I don't like wine much, either. If it is dry I don't like it and if it is sweet it gives me a headache. Sometimes a hearty burgundy with Italian food is okay, but I am a beer drinker. I don't really enjoy Apfelwine or Mead either. It's not beer.

Rexbanner sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand him. I've tried to develop a taste for him, but I can't. He smells like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every smell I take.

Also, Rexbanner isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the real friend trend, and I actively work to promote real friends and put down Rexbanner if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, pull out a picture of Rexbanner and laugh over a glass of wine. For holidays I always make sure to bring my real friends so I don't have to smell Rexbanner.

Dude you sound like a snob!!!! ;) However, I've got to admit, I've never really been that big on Rexbanner myself.

Wine sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand it. I've tried to develop a taste for it, but I can't. It tastes like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every sip I take.

Also, wine isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the craft beer trend, and I actively work to promote beer and put down wine if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

"But beer fills me up!" Bull****. I can drink tons of beer and I'm skinny as a reed. People just need to discover high ABV beers. I brewed my non-beer-drinking parents a bourbon barrel tripel to hopefully get them to start drinking beer.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, crack open a few high ABV bottles and give everyone a taste. For holidays I always make sure to bring a bottle of some type of abbey ale so I can hopefully change some minds.

As an unapologetic beer geek, Beer is my preferred beverage as well.
I am very fortunate to live in one of the most beer-centric areas of the country. Within a couple of miles from my home, I can get Pliny The Elder, Blind Pig, Racer 5, Trumer Pils, Trappist Ales, and over 75 other craft beers on tap. At my grocery store, the craft beer section is 95% of the beers stocked. The big three is relegated to just a corner.
I often compare Pliny The Elder, which was voted the best beer in the country at $4.50 per pint, to it what it would cost for the best wine available in the country to illustrate the value and accessibility of great beer. There simply is no comparable wine that can be had for $4.50 per glass anywhere in the USA.
However that being said, I cannot agree that wine sucks. I live in the heart of California’s wine country and have access to truly delicious wines that don’t suck. Wine like beer, is a complex beverage that requires an adult palette to appreciate.
On a personal basis, I like beer people better than wine people. Fans of good beer are more fun to be around than wine snobs, primarily because most people that love great beer are not snobs. I think that it is counterproductive to “press this agenda” that “wine sucks” because in doing so lowers you to the level of being a beer snob.
BTW, last night we had a very pleasant Christmas dinner and served : Pliny The Elder, Orval, Home brewed Blonde Sour and Baltic Porter, Frogs Leap Napa Valley Zinfandel and Domaine Carneros Blanc de Noir. It was a great pouring!

Wine sucks.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me

Yeah, you're cut off. I love beer and homebrew as much as the next guy, but there are certain dishes a glass of wine just goes better with.

Just last night I was telling my sister-in-law that if she doesn't like beer she hasn't had the right beer, if you don't like any wine you probably haven't had the right wine. To each his own.

I suppose I haven't had the "right" wine yet, because I partially agree with the OP.

I don't, however, bash it whenever I get the chance. I can assume that I haven't had a really "good" wine; especially considering they get REALLY expensive, and I assume that's good stuff.

I'm sure it doesn't help that the only wine I regularly get exposed to comes in a box. :p

I don't, however, bash it whenever I get the chance. I can assume that I haven't had a really "good" wine; especially considering they get REALLY expensive, and I assume that's good stuff.

More expensive than beer, but in my experience you can get some excellent wines for $10 - $15 a pop. My wife and I hit up the Finger Lakes last summer, probably sampled about a hundred different wines, many of which were absolutely outstanding and the vast majority of which were in the $12 - $20/bottle range. Much of the cheap **** is ****, a lot of backsweetened garbage, but there's some really outstanding stuff available that's not all that spendy.

More expensive than beer, but in my experience you can get some excellent wines for $10 - $15 a pop. My wife and I hit up the Finger Lakes last summer, probably sampled about a hundred different wines, many of which were absolutely outstanding and the vast majority of which were in the $12 - $20/bottle range. Much of the cheap **** is ****, a lot of backsweetened garbage, but there's some really outstanding stuff available that's not all that spendy.

Pretty much everything I buy is in the 10-15 range and it is always really good. I also don't usually just randomly buy a bottle though. Quite a few places around here do tastings multiple times a week and most of them have very reasonably priced bottles on the tasting list.

Pretty much everything I buy is in the 10-15 range and it is always really good. I also don't usually just randomly buy a bottle though. Quite a few places around here do tastings multiple times a week and most of them have very reasonably priced bottles on the tasting list.

That's what's awesome about the tastings. You can do side-by-side comparisons and pretty much try everything the winery offers. Great way to find out what wines you like and what you don't. Great way to learn things like how much I hate heavy oaking with Chardonnays (unoaked chards are like a completely different - and IMHO much better - wine).

The better wineries have really well-trained staffs that will talk to you about the wines, spend a lot of time answering questions, educate you on the differences. It's mostly down-to-earth people, there's an image that wine necessitates some kind of snobbery but that's mostly bull****. Most of the people that you meet at the wineries have the same passion for wine that we all have for our own homebrew, and really seem to enjoy talking about it.

My wife and I will each do a tasting, each get usually about six wines, we'll get different ones and each try all of them so usually at each winery we're sampling at least ten or twelve different wines, and usually buying a couple bottles of the ones that the winery does the best.

Seriously, wine is awesome, and the absolute best way to learn about it (*I* think) is to hit up as many wineries as you can.

I know there's a few wine stores around here that do tastings, but I still love hitting up the actual winery - they know more than any distributor. Plus, it's really useful to do side-by-side comparisons, something like a dry Riesling versus a semi-dry Riesling from the same winery.

I'm not much of a wine guy myself. I haven't tried many to be honest but I don't know where to start. They all have such complex, crazy, foreign names. At least with beers there are some reasonably named choices to break a fella in.

The wines I have tried I didn't care for. Does Boones farm count? :cross:

And as for liquor, no thanks, I'll take girly shots if I have to but I have a weak stomach. :mug:

Rexbanner sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand him. I've tried to develop a taste for him, but I can't. He smells like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every smell I take.

Also, Rexbanner isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the real friend trend, and I actively work to promote real friends and put down Rexbanner if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, pull out a picture of Rexbanner and laugh over a glass of wine. For holidays I always make sure to bring my real friends so I don't have to smell Rexbanner.

Funny, and touche'.

:mug:

Of course, I did start a thread bashing guiness (or 3 or 4) and one bashing TWILIGHT, but to bash wine on a site with a wine brewing forum?

DUMB

Not liking wine is an opinion. Stating facts about cans vs. bottles is different

But point taken. Beer forums are serious business

Yeah, start a beer SUCKS thread and see how tight guys like you get wound. So easy to call others out when it's something you don't care about.

Funny, and touche'.

Of course, I did start a thread bashing guiness (or 3 or 4) and one bashing TWILIGHT, but to bash wine on a site with a wine brewing forum?

DUMB

You started a thread bashing a particular beer. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Bashing and entire beverage is ignorant (the literal form, not the mean form). You might be able to get away with bashing White Zin or Voigner, but not every wine.
Plus, all the Twilight movies suck.
I find Rap and Hip Hop tedious and generally low, but have a deep respect for a small group of artists who do it.

You started a thread bashing a particular beer. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Bashing and entire beverage is ignorant (the literal form, not the mean form). You might be able to get away with bashing White Zin or Voigner, but not every wine.
Plus, all the Twilight movies suck.
I find Rap and Hip Hop tedious and generally low, but have a deep respect for a small group of artists who do it.

Berringer White Zin is nectar of the Gods..... You bite your tongue.

While I will defend WINE in general........

White Zinfandel is for people who don't like wine.;)

How is this thread alive??? Kill it! Kill it with fire!

btw- a good Voinger is a beautiful thing, especially on a hot day. Grapefruit and mineral notes with a strong acid finish. Mmmmm...

For most of the plonk that's out there. She calls it Chick Wine. It's sweet, it's fruit forward, it's totally lacking in complexity or any other thing that would make you want to take a second sip.

We were at someones home recently and that person (not a wine drinker) gushed about how she had got this wine especially for Al for the party, the salesman assured her that she would love it. And of course it was a white zin. As we were driving home I asked her how it tasted and she said that if, by some miracle, it got 1000 percent better it still wouldn't be good chick wine. I spent the evening enjoying some quality beer and she was stuck drinking the equivalent of Pruno. Maybe the Schweet Baby Jeebus doesn't hate me after all?

Please don't include white zin in a discussion about wine. Or at least in a discussion trying to convince a non wine drinker that wine is good. That is like including Bud Lime in a discussion about good beer

PTN

Voignier is too thin and bland for me.
I started drinking White Zin in college. I once finished a magnum in 40 minutes. Druck.
Some time after that I had real wine and never looked back. The first time you have a properly aged Cabernet Sauvignon, it'll change your life.

Even if you don't like tannic red wines, there are so many better wines that white zins. Finger Lakes are known for Rieslings and other fairly light, fruity wines; we buy dry ones for ourselves and semi-dry (like, 1.5% residual sweetness) when we're bringing a bottle to share. You can get a really nice wine with a little sweetness that's not cloying and that has a great, fresh flavor and some nice tartness to it, and you're still only spending $12 or $15 a bottle.

BMC sucks. Wine sucks. people that ***** about other people's opinions suck.

(for the record PTN's wine does not suck):rockin:

At an unamed winery in Napa, the winemaker put a fire hydrant fitting on his White Zin tank for firefighting use. He said "using it to put out a fire would be it's highest use" The stuff is pure crap, but is pays the bills at the wineries.

I was drinking on a Monday but i was drinking cough syrup. Who knew you could wake up with a hangover from Vicks? Damn I feel horrible! This cold is killing me.

And I agree, viognier can be a great wine. It's often pedestrian plonk but done right its fantastic.

PTN

How did I miss this thread!? I'm not paying enough attention. Retardedness is what I inhale and exhale, I am normally attracted to someone else's retartedness like a magnet.

How did I miss this thread!? I'm not paying enough attention. Retardedness is what I inhale and exhale, I am normally attracted to someone else's retartedness like a magnet.

It's like slowing down to look at the wreck on the highway. You know you don't want to see the carnage but you can't stop yourself from looking.

PTN

Is that while you are sucking a big hairy one Paul? Which wine pairs best with that? (not that I encourage drinking and driving;))

Pallets change. My friend was a gal that was only a BMC drinker. A month or so ago she told me that her tastes are changing and started making the leap and bought a 12 pack of Fat Tire. When she goes to the GABF with SWMBO and I she never tried the "Dark Beers". Now I got a request to make a Raspberry Stout. Another Convert....MUHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Is that while you are sucking a big hairy one Paul? Which wine pairs best with that? (not that I encourage drinking and driving;))
Not that I encourage drinking and driving either but my buddy Drunken and I polished off a case of Fat Tire this past fall doing 36 at Pine Grove. I think he beat me by two strokes but I don't really remember.

Then again I had a handicap. I had a few on the drive there.

PTN

Not that I encourage drinking and driving either but my buddy Drunken and I polished off a case of Fat Tire this past fall doing 36 at Pine Grove. I think he beat me by two strokes but I don't really remember.

Then again I had a handicap. I had a few on the drive there.

PTN

If golf is anything like Pool, I actually play better after a few, so I retract my statement!

Was not really into wine until September when myself and the SWMBO took a vacation at the Finger Lakes. I'm a convert. I found myself to actually really enjoy a red with a strong oak taste... Like the sweeter ones as well.. However halfway through the day of tasting. I felt like I went head to head with a ram... Man did I hurt.

Some neat little Macro Breweries up that way too! Anyone that doesn't like wine, needs to go to either Napa or The Finger Lakes and get a true taste.

Was not really into wine until September when myself and the SWMBO took a vacation at the Finger Lakes. I'm a convert. I found myself to actually really enjoy a red with a strong oak taste... Like the sweeter ones as well.. However halfway through the day of tasting. I felt like I went head to head with a ram... Man did I hurt.

Some neat little Macro Breweries up that way too! Anyone that doesn't like wine, needs to go to either Napa or The Finger Lakes and get a true taste.

Absolutely. See, I found out I'm the opposite - I don't really like heavily oaked wines. What I love about the tastings is being able to do side-by-side comparisons, a few places had the same wine, just some aged in oak and some fermented entirely in stainless. Makes it so much easier to pick up on the subtle differences.

There's a cool new distillery on the east side of Seneca, too, Finger Lakes Distilling. I'm not really into hard liquors, but they make an excellent maple-infused applejack.

The distillery is cool. I didn't do any tasting as I probably shouldn't have been driving by that point. Bought some Corn Whisky to mix with some other stuff.

Had a similar experience with my new bride on our honeymoon in Niagara Falls a couple years ago. We wanted to tour the wineries (we stayed on the .ca side) on our own just for something non-touristy to do, and it turns out I like some dark wines, myself. I still don't buy myself a bottle, but that could change. She found herself liking the Ice Wine enough that we dropped something like $60 on a bottle of the high-test stuff. It comes out in tiny glasses every so often.

Buddy just convinced me to buy a bottle of Port, too - which I consumed on Christmas. Great stuff! My bottle wasn't anything fancy (Sandemann's Tawny Porto) but I was impressed.

Back