Wine Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
Wine sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand it. I've tried to develop a taste for it, but I can't. It tastes like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every sip I take.

Also, wine isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the craft beer trend, and I actively work to promote beer and put down wine if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

"But beer fills me up!" Bull****. I can drink tons of beer and I'm skinny as a reed. People just need to discover high ABV beers. I brewed my non-beer-drinking parents a bourbon barrel tripel to hopefully get them to start drinking beer.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, crack open a few high ABV bottles and give everyone a taste. For holidays I always make sure to bring a bottle of some type of abbey ale so I can hopefully change some minds.

The good news is we all have different tastes - I like wine and wouldn't put it down. In fact, I think we ought to be approaching craft beer tasting in the same way we approach wine tasting.

I love beer, I also love wine, and love liquor too. I can't put down any of them. They are all great and have their place. Wine can't be replaced by beer or vice versa.

I love beer, I also love wine, and love liquor too. I can't put down any of them. They are all great and have their place. Wine can't be replaced by beer or vice versa.

+1. I know its blasphemy around these parts, but IMHO, BMC has its place. When I go to my dad's place, I'll have a couple of his High Life's.

Hey rex, how about you just get over it. If you don't like wine, that's just great. More power to ya, nobody's making you drink it. But don't look down at people who drink anything other than beer.

Wine can be great. But if I order wine at a full bar with a group of friends, I'd expect to be made fun of.

For some reason I can pay $4 for a pint and not cringe, but I can't bring myself to pay $7 for a glass of grocery store wine in a bar. Maybe because a pint on draft often does actually taste better than bottled, at least to me. So almost invariably I'll drink beer if I'm out with friends, but at home, I love both, though probably drink beer more as it comes in smaller servings. If I'm going to crack a bottle of wine I need someone to there to share it with.

I can only drink whites. Reds require that shudder suppression you speak of.

There's a number of whites that I really like though, and I have had at least one red that was actually good, but my SWMBO makes me try a sip of every new bottle she opens and I can tell you it's few and far between.

+1. I know its blasphemy around these parts, but IMHO, BMC has its place. When I go to my dad's place, I'll have a couple of his High Life's.

Hey rex, how about you just get over it. If you don't like wine, that's just great. More power to ya, nobody's making you drink it. But don't look down at people who drink anything other than beer.

Haha true. But the only way I can try to effect change is to try to get people to drink beer. Of course, live and let live. It sucks that I come from a family of wine drinkers though.

I'm afraid I have to agree with the OP... to an extent.

My wife is a wine drinker, and I will indulge from time to time, but if I'm at a party and the choices are average wine or BMC, I'm gonna go with the beer.

Good wine on the other hand is tasty, but expensive so I never drink it.

Heh.. I remember the days when the only wine I would drink was pink, syrupy sweet, and came from a bottle bigger than my head.
At some point I learned to appreciate real wine, and good beer, and now I enjoy both. :)

I used to hate wine, but have developed a taste for it. Only if it isn't to dry, and I never drink it out in public.

I drink wine, especially with dinner. It enhances food, that's for sure.

I love beer, and I love wine. I don't usually drink any liquor, but maybe a glass of scotch once in a great wine after dinner is nice. I never drink rum, whisky, brandy, etc.

I probably make more types of wine than beer, when I think about it. Right now, I have 7 carboys of wine fermenting, but only 10 gallons of beer.

I make wine, mead and beer. Sometimes I drink wine, and sometimes beer - it all depends on how I feel and what I am doing. But to say wine sucks and isn't cool just because you don't like it is :mad:

I hate this thread, and it makes me shudder.

Seriously, the newest brand of beer snob is worse than any wine snob I have ever met.

Not only are you close-minded and biased, but you feel it necessary to put others down for what they like... wow.

I love beer more than just about anyone I know. However, beer will never transcend to the highest levels of what wine can be. A truly special wine is a life changing experience.

Wine is an art of subtly and perfection. In comparison beer is big, bold, and brash. Those Helles and other light lagers you probably hate so much are the most subtle beers in the world. But I am sure your bourbon aged triple will be a world class beverage :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Beer is awesome and great. So is wine in a different way. So are sparkling wines. So are the innumerable liquors. If you don't like something get over it. If you want others to like what you do, try to show them what they are missing. Just for the love of the rest of us, don't act like you are awesome because you drink beer and it is 'like totally better than wine'.

End rant. This is why in general I really dislike the beer culture... /end rant

All this hate during this festive time of year?

I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.

I also hate Christmas. Yes, I am serious. It is the one time a year my entire family is unhappy because the stupid schedule never works out perfectly for everyone. Bah Humbug. I can't wait for the 26th.

Sorry, +1 to you coming across as a total ******. Dismissing wine out of hand is just as ****tarded as saying 'all beer sucks' when all you've tried is BMC. There are a lot of annoying wine snobs out there, but that means nothing about wine itself. ****, there's as much variance between different types of wine - a sweet, tart late-harvest Chardonnay versus a heavily oaked, tannic Cab - as there is between a Berliner Weisse and a Russian Imperial Stout. Dismissing either one out of hand is incredibly lazy.

I'm with Yoop. My basement is crowded with batches and batches of wine, yet I've only got a few cases of homebrew.

I like them both. Brewing requires a longer dedicated block to time to create, and you can put together a batch of wine is as quick as 30 minutes.

Yeah! Good thing craft beer is COOL!

Know what else is COOL?? Miller Ultra!!!!!

Good wine is like good beer. There are those who get it, and those who don't.

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

Sorry for your luck. Maybe I think hockey sucks, or blues music, or something you like that I just don't get. Think I'm gonna start a whole thread bashing it?

You have my pity.....sort of.

props to the OP.....

Way to get all the uptight posters all worked up. Im guessing you were either drunk or bored.
Prosted

I love wine, it's great and our group’s tradition of making it every fall I wouldn't give up for a million bucks. There is nothing better than having 20 Italians (and a few Germans) young and old hanging out for the day crushing 5000lbs of grapes, drinking wine and eating like kings.

I have around 300 bottles of homemade wine in my basement and I have to tell you sometimes I just want a change of pace so I pop a bottle.

I know everyone has a right to their own opinion so cheers to you OP you hate wine, that may change in time if you continue to give it a chance and learn a little about it. I always liked wine but it was not until a good friend of mine and I decided to sit down and explain to each other why we thought our drinks of choice were so good. He now drinks sours frequently and I have a better appreciation for the wine I drink.

Cheers

I hate this thread, and it makes me shudder.

Seriously, the newest brand of beer snob is worse than any wine snob I have ever met.

Not only are you close-minded and biased, but you feel it necessary to put others down for what they like... wow.

I love beer more than just about anyone I know. However, beer will never transcend to the highest levels of what wine can be. A truly special wine is a life changing experience.

Wine is an art of subtly and perfection. In comparison beer is big, bold, and brash. Those Helles and other light lagers you probably hate so much are the most subtle beers in the world. But I am sure your bourbon aged triple will be a world class beverage :rolleyes:

Give me a break. Beer is awesome and great. So is wine in a different way. So are sparkling wines. So are the innumerable liquors. If you don't like something get over it. If you want others to like what you do, try to show them what they are missing. Just for the love of the rest of us, don't act like you are awesome because you drink beer and it is 'like totally better than wine'.

End rant. This is why in general I really dislike the beer culture... /end rant

You presume too much. I'm not a beer snob at all. You sound like one though.

usually beer is best, but sometimes a good wine cooler is in order. i keep a keg of wine coolers ready for just such a time

...I actively work to promote beer and put down wine ...

...People just need to discover high ABV beers. I brewed my non-beer-drinking parents a bourbon barrel tripel to hopefully get them to start drinking beer.

You are right; you don't sound like a beer snob at all. But my suggestion that light lagers are a quality product makes me one for sure.

Rexbanner sucks. Speaking personally, I can't stand him. I've tried to develop a taste for him, but I can't. He smells like bile, and I have to suppress a shudder with every smell I take.

Also, Rexbanner isn't cool. Maybe if you're a girl, Italian, or popping champagne in the club, but that's it.

That's why I'm happy about the real friend trend, and I actively work to promote real friends and put down Rexbanner if it's possible to work it in to conversations somehow.

Anyways, maybe no one agrees with me, but if you do, keep pressing this agenda. When friends or family come over, pull out a picture of Rexbanner and laugh over a glass of wine. For holidays I always make sure to bring my real friends so I don't have to smell Rexbanner.

You are right; you don't sound like a beer snob at all. But my suggestion that light lagers are a quality product makes me one for sure.

I drink BMC all the time. I typically brew session ales. I like all beers!!

If I was a beer snob, I probably would have said something when my friend told me my dry stout reminded her of Blue Moon. :D

Back