Wine smells bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseckler

Reaction score
wine has a strong smell,but tastes sweet,could this just be a build up of a gas,to much acid? or just a young wine,I opened it today.Grape, and Apple,two different wines but the other 8 types smell fine,and taste sweet,could to much wine condictioner cause this oder?or just young wine.I started this wine in late Augest or early sept. bottled it in Jan, after the 3rd racking with no sediment or refermentation. any Ideas. How do you keep from getting the bad smell,Asorbic acid, a campden tablet, could this be a wild yeast smell? any and all help would be good,Thanks.

If it smells bad but tastes ok it could be just young wine. If you overdid it on wine conditioner, that could cause a bad taste and smell.

If you used wine conditioner in all of the wines, that should preserve it just fine and you won't need any campden tablets at bottling for preservative qualities.

If you can tell us more about the recipe and the process of one of the wines that has an off aroma, we could be more specific about the probable cause and the fix.

If it smells bad but tastes ok it could be just young wine. If you overdid it on wine conditioner, that could cause a bad taste and smell.

If you used wine conditioner in all of the wines, that should preserve it just fine and you won't need any campden tablets at bottling for preservative qualities.

If you can tell us more about the recipe and the process of one of the wines that has an off aroma, we could be more specific about the probable cause and the fix.

The first wine is a Grape,2gal. 64 oz. Grape concentrate juice,1/2 tsp. Pectic enzyme,1/4 tsp tannin,yeast nutrients 1tsp.,1 campden tablet,1pkg wine yeast,2 1/2 lbs. sugar.work in primary for 10 days,racked to Secondary for 30 days with air lock,racked off sediment after 60 days,reattached air lock,racked off sediment after 30 days,little to no sediment ,wine had stopped working,stabitized,sweented to taste with wine condictoner.degassed,botted. opened yesterday. bad smell.

second wine was apple, 1gal. 32 oz.100% apple juice,32oz white grape 100% juice,2lbs sugar,1tsp pectic enzyme,yeast nutrients 1tsp,1/4 tsp tannin,1 pkg yeast,very little water,1 campden tablet, worked 14 days in primary,rack to secondary with air lock for 30 days,racked in 60 days,air lock worked another 30 days,racked ,stabilized, waited 10 days,sweetened to taste,degassed, bottled ,open yesterday,taste very good bad smell.

I wonder if you're getting the aroma from the sorbate in the wine conditioner? Everything else looks good. I assume it didn't have that aroma before you bottled?

I guess the only thing to do now is to wait and see if it gets better, as I have no good advice since the technique and recipes look good.

no smell wasn't there when i bottled it,and tonight we had a drink and the smell was gone no bad oder,must have been something that happend in the bottle and after a day ,something changed.thanks for your help.

rseckler said:
no smell wasn't there when i bottled it,and tonight we had a drink and the smell was gone no bad oder,must have been something that happend in the bottle and after a day ,something changed.thanks for your help.

Must have been bottling sickness that happens when you don't let it age after bottling long enough

Must have been bottling sickness that happens when you don't let it age after bottling long enough

ananon, you may be right,i should have let it age,the remaining bottles will age longer,i get in a hurry sometimes.thanks for your help.

Back