Wine Resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnye

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been brewing beer for a while and dipping a toe in wine. I was wondering other than this forum, are there any go to resources to learn more? I've been struggling to find high quality resources of either websites/blogs/youtube channels/etc. Any good recommendations to learn more? There is so much information for beer, I'm surprised I haven't been able to find quality content for wine.

Thanks!

Your local library likely has a lot of useful books (remember books?) on the subject of home winemaking. This also lets you absorb the information a bit better, as opposed to being assaulted by YouTube personalities with past paced and possibly dubious information.

C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking was the first book I read on the subject, and albeit a bit on the older side, I feel like he really imparts a lot of knowledge in it. He includes the basics, shows how it's done in a simple home setting, and includes a ton of recipes. Some of the recipes are a bit esoteric (oak leaf wine?!), but great to try out.

Two excellent books, in my opinion, where the subject is front and center and not the author (see Youtube) and where the author has some real knowledge and expertise and is not wallowing in their own ignorance as is common online are
1. The Way to Make Wine, by Sheridan Warrick (U California P) 2006. It's a non scientific approach to making wine from grapes but it highlights principles and practices. AND
2. Techniques in Home Winemaking, by Daniel Pambianchi (Vehicule Press) 2012. Much more scientific but Pambianchi is a professional wine maker from Canada.
Neither book is a recipe book. Both books teach you how to make wine from grapes but when you know how to make wine then you don't need recipes. You learn how yeast make wine and what you need to do to help make the wine that the yeast make the wine that you want to drink.

Thanks for the recommendations. Just purchased Techniques in Home Winemaking. Thanks!

Hey all,

Been brewing beer for a while and dipping a toe in wine. I was wondering other than this forum, are there any go to resources to learn more? I've been struggling to find high quality resources of either websites/blogs/youtube channels/etc. Any good recommendations to learn more? There is so much information for beer, I'm surprised I haven't been able to find quality content for wine.

Thanks!
I learned everything from YouTube. After that I just started doing things my own way. It's not very successful lol.

Compared to brewing, wine is pretty easy.
#1 Obtain bucket of wine juice
#2 Put funnel in carboy
#3 dump wine juice into carboy
#4 add yeast
#5 ferment at proper temperature
#6 when its done rack to another carboy
#7 age it for 6 months (white wine) or 2 years (red wine) and drink it.

Latest posts

Back