Wine Question (post fermentation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
(1) Ok so I fermented 5 gallon of blackberry from Vintners wine base. It been in primary since 10/25 I was going to move it to a secondary but didn't have the carboys free. Should be ok right?
(2) I want to do this one right so should I add potassium sorbate before I bottle this? Someone told me that fermentation should be done by now but I worry about a burst bottle.
(3) If I decide to backsweeten some, how should I go about that? Add my sugars and see if a fermentation starts again then add sorbate to halt it?

The wine should be taken off primary at at 0.95 hydrometer reading or when airlock has very little activity, so2 and sorbate should be added during first racking , I back sweeten my wine just before bottling but I let my wine go 10 months before bottling to ensure no more activity is possible

Yes, 4 months in secondary does wonders, cold stabilization during this step does a good job of dropping unwanted suspension also.

I have racked wine into my bottling bucket, cleaned out the carboy, then racked back into it when I didn't have an available secondary. I just tried to minimize splashing. I agree with everyone that you should not skip secondary.

I would let it age longer in secondary before bottling, I have bottled after 6 months of aging without campden and had no problems 1 year later. You may want to add it if you plan on aging for a really long time.

If you choose to backsweeten, add Potassium Sorbate and Campden tablets 24 hours before bottling. At bottling time add your sugar to the wine(last time I sweetend strawberry wine I dissolved 3 tablespoons sugar in 1.5 tablespoons of water for a 1 gallon batch). While some may do things different this is what has worked for me. Good luck!

ok so I am going to put this into a secondary, so would a second plastic bucket me ok? I know some guys say move it to a glass carboy but its gonna be two weeks before I even have those ready. So could I simply add more sugar to it, let it reach max ABV and then bottle once everything stalls out? I want to have at least two gallons I will back sweeten, the rest will go in as is.
From my understanding sorbate is just to keep a new fermentation from starting. If I add sugar I am sure it will start again even with sorbate right?

Back