Wine Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
I am interested in making a very crisp and dry malt base and looking to get all the wine flavors from these 3 hops:
Nelson sauvin
Enigma
Hallertau blanc

All my hops will be late/whirlpooled. Anyone have any experience with these hops and a ratio I should shoot for. I heard nelson is pretty potent

As for malt probably pilsner with was carapils and s-05 or hothead yeast

I am interested in making a very crisp and dry malt base and looking to get all the wine flavors from these 3 hops:
Nelson sauvin
Enigma
Hallertau blanc

All my hops will be late/whirlpooled. Anyone have any experience with these hops and a ratio I should shoot for. I heard nelson is pretty potent

I would use WLP029 (Kölsch) or 2565 to help accentuate the “wine” aspect of those hops.

As for the hops, yes Nelson is very potent, as is Enigma. I didn’t get much wine character from enigma when I used it a single hop ipa.

I would probably just stick with Nelson and blanc to get the character you’re describing. If you’re using Nelson in such a delicate crisp beer, I would keep flavor and aroma hops under 4oz total in a 5 gallon batch. 1oz of each at 15 minutes, and another ounce of each at flameout.

I would use WLP029 (Kölsch) or 2565 to help accentuate the “wine” aspect of those hops.

As for the hops, yes Nelson is very potent, as is Enigma. I didn’t get much wine character from enigma when I used it a single hop ipa.

I would probably just stick with Nelson and blanc to get the character you’re describing. If you’re using Nelson in such a delicate crisp beer, I would keep flavor and aroma hops under 4oz total in a 5 gallon batch. 1oz of each at 15 minutes, and another ounce of each at flameout.
What flavors did you get from enigma?

I did a dry beer last year with OYL-150 "Gulo" and a dose of amyloglucodaise when fermentation appeared to be within 5 points of FG. Hopped with Nelson and Hallertau Blanc and definitely got the Sauv Blanc wine notes. The amylo really got the re-fermentation kicked into gear, and actual FG ended up at 0.997. A typical Sauv Blanc wine would have a FG somewhere around 0.994/12.5% ABV, so this beer was definitely getting down into 'wine territory.' Ended up placing 1st. in Category 34C "Experimental" Specialty Beer.

Brooo Brother

I agree on using just Nelson & Blanc, I think you'll get plenty of character from those two. I would just be careful with the amounts since the alpha acid and oil content will be a lot higher than the typical Hallertau/Tettang hops.

Also, have you considered just adding a splash of sauvignon blanc to your bottles/keg? I've done this with saisons and wild ales ales with pretty good success. 1 bottle for 5 gallons gives a pretty noticeable character.

I ran a batch of kolsch in late2019 using Blanc and Hersbrucker with 2565 and it has been a hit with the white wine drinking crowd. Next time it comes up in rotation I'm planning on using Nelson on one half. I expect it will make for a quite different character set...

Cheers!

Nelson sauvin
Enigma
Hallertau blanc

If you want a pilsner wine, just make a Belgian Strong Golden with Wyeast 3711. This yeast is a monster that will dissolve the soul out of the malt and leave it very light. It also has some belgian character that, when combined with high ABV and light bodied beer, is quite winelike. I've done this, then late-hopped with mosaic and it's an awesome beer. That late hopping, if not overdone and if a aromatic hop is used, makes this a memorable sipper.

I used pilsner malt, and table sugar, to get the OG to 1.080.

Back