Wine Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboys

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is anything out there so I can have red wine on tap, like beer? Coming out a tap on top of my bar. Any help be great.

You could use a corny, but you'd have to let out the co2 after every pour, or at least soon after pouring, otherwise it will get carbonated.

I think you might be able to push it with Nitrogen, but I'd recommend Argon to make sure.

Couldn't you just do it like a cask? Get one of those cask taps and then just put the wine in a corny and lay the corny on its side.

Argon/ nitrogen would be better when there's a long draw, but when it's ok to have a short hose 2 psi CO2 would be cheaper/ easier to get into if you're already set up for kegging.

I currently am doing this with my 2009 Shiralz. I moved it to a corny with argon, and it has been under argon since. If I make a bottle for a friend, I just tap it off using my BMBF.

SWMBO *LOVES* having wine on tap !

Nitrogen to push corny kegs should work just fine. I know that St Pats (a local commercial winery supplier) sells nitrogen kegging kits for wine. Another option is to push with CO2 and vent the pressure from the keg so the wine doesn't carbonate.

Lots of wine draft options out there...
SDC110271.JPG

I have a nitro set up for my stouts. Could i use that at a lower pressure (not thorugh the stout tap of course)? If so what pressure should i run it at?

Sure, you only need a few psi to push it 5 should be fine. Note that if you are using "beer gas", that is a mix of 75/25 N2/CO2, so I don't know how that would carbonate ?

Keeping the PSI low will help, but keeping it out of the refridgerator will not only limit and/or prevent it from carbonating, but it will also keep it at the proper serving temperature. The biggest hurdle though would be pouring it because I would assume that you are using a converted fridge and it wouldn't be in your best interest to put the keg in the fridge as stated above. You also will probably stain the lines and need to replace them if you switched back to beer. Your best bet is getting a single tap tower, splicing off your air line, putting a secondary regualtor for lower PSI, and mouting the tower on your bar. That said, seems like a costly endevour.

I use plastic* 5 gallon jugs as secondaries. They're the kind that go to water coolers I'm working on a way to invert and tap them to get my wine on tap. :)

Is there any way the keg can sit above the tap?

Prime the line, and then let gravity do the work. Hook it up to gas at just enough pressure so that that gas replaces the liquid lost as the keg drains.

Back