Wine from a box! Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimmey

Reaction score
Anyone ever made 1 of these, or this 1 in particular? What are your opinions?
CD26AEC5-2404-4AA2-AE13-DE895D251619.jpeg

Very good kit wine, the reserve are usually $99 and up. Double the first and second racking times, it will be good at bottling. Delicious in the bottle after 6 months

100%. The WinExpert kits and RJS kits make some excellent table wines, especially the higher end kits. But if you're going to go to the expense, you've got to ignore the timelines in the instructions. No way those wines will be ready in 6-8 weeks, or really even 12-16 weeks. Patience is your friend. For the more expensive kits, give the whites at least 10 weeks before even thinking about bottling. Then let them rest for another 8 weeks minimum before uncorking, For reds, I always (always) bulk age in carboys for a minimum of 8 months. Right now I have four top tier reds that have been bulk aging anywhere from 12~18 months. Last week I did a barrel tasting and they are without a doubt the equals of any boutique wineries we visit on the West Coast (and we visit a lot of wineries) from SoCal to British Columbia, Santa Barbara to Okanagan.

The Big Lie about home brewing beer is that you can save money. Hah! If I were to amortize what I have spent over the years brewing beer, I know I'd be 'upside down' in the calculation. I do it because I love brewing beer.

The truth about home winemaking is that, in time, if you are willing to take the time to learn the hobby, you can produce very enjoyable wines for friends and family that will rival anything you buy from your favorite winery at a significant price per bottle savings, even after spending $150~$200 on a kit

Back