wine fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoch79

Reaction score
Hi, guys. So I just started my first ever batch of both mead/JAOM, and welches grape juice wine. I am doing a 3 gallon batch of each and used a champagne yeast...red star brand I think...yellow packet. It was a general purpose yeast the guy at the homebrew store told me. He told me that was a decent one to use for a lot of stuff. I was brand new to homebrew at the time, and still am, and I told him I wanted to experiment with different things. If I were more specific he probably would have taken me a different route.

Ok so the question. My mead started some obvious light foaming/bubbling within 24 hours. My wine didn't noticeably start for closer to 48 and even then neither one of them really foamed up like I see in a lot of pictures and posts. The mead is just a light foam mixed in with the oranges and the wine looks like a sparkling wine or soda would. Am I not getting a vigorous ferment because of the style of yeast or is it probably something else? I did use yeast nutrient and each batch is between 1.090 and 1.100 give or take. I know that could be a big difference but as long as I am ballpark with those numbers I'm ok with it. These are both just experiments at this point after all. Thanks for reading all of this.

Ahh yes thank you...I just saw beginner and didn't think much past that. Sorry about that

Latest posts

Back