wine coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Don't laugh please... Something lighter in alcohal, slightly carbed. I have some leftover raspberries, apples, blueberries and might try a fruity mix.
I realize the basic idea will be to add less sugar and bottle it before completely finished. Is there anything else to the concept?
thanks

sashurlow said:
Don't laugh please... Something lighter in alcohal, slightly carbed. I have some leftover raspberries, apples, blueberries and might try a fruity mix.
I realize the basic idea will be to add less sugar and bottle it before completely finished. Is there anything else to the concept?
thanks

Are you looking for something sweet, or do you want this dry?

sweet
A question on the side. How much different fruit can you randomly mix together before it tastes strange. I'm currently at raspberries, apples, blueberries. I want to add frozen concentrate from grape (white hopefully) and apple. I'd consider some fresh strawberries but don't know.

sweet
A question on the side. How much different fruit can you randomly mix together before it tastes strange. I'm currently at raspberries, apples, blueberries. I want to add frozen concentrate from grape (white hopefully) and apple. I'd consider some fresh strawberries but don't know.

well, think of the "finished" wine from those fruits. Raspberries are very acidic, and so very tart when fermented out. It's hard to make a good raspberry wine- so you may want to leave that out. Apples are easy, blueberries also, and white grape juice is a great base. Apple juice is fine, also. But I'd probably go with a 100% Niagara grape juice base, add some blueberries, and possibly some strawberries (again, very tart when fermented).

Since berries are tart when the sugar is gone, you might consider that "less is more" and just start with the mostly niagara grape juice and add more fruit if needed.

Thanks Yooper. This will be another one of my "oh what the heck" wines. I'll keep in mind the less is more philosophy.
What about adding the raspberry juice just before bottling? Its only about three cups of raspberries, so it won't be that much.

Thanks Yooper. This will be another one of my "oh what the heck" wines. I'll keep in mind the less is more philosophy.
What about adding the raspberry juice just before bottling? Its only about three cups of raspberries, so it won't be that much.

Well, if you don't stabilize first, the bottles will blow up.

But if you stabilize first, for a non-carbonated beverage, then the added juice would be for sweetening and flavor and it might be ok.

Back