Wine cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K5MOW

Reaction score
What do all of you think of this idea. I am using a wine cooler set at 63 degrees with a ballon with three pin holes in it because there was not enough room for the airlock and 6 gallon carboy. So I used an ballon instead of airlock. Do you all think this will work ok.

Roger

image-465254350.jpg

image-2022625670.jpg

I presume you're using the balloon in place of the airlock?
Sorry, I don't think that will stop air from getting in once the primary fermentation is done and the offgassing of the CO2 is done. What you could do is keep your eyes on it close, then as soon as the balloon stop inflating, replace it with a solid bung. You may need to relieve pressure on it occasionally, but it may work.
The other option would be a blow off tube. A small-diameter hose should be able to make the bend without kinking up, and get down to a bottle half-full of water or sanitizer.

jrgtr42 said:
Sorry, I don't think that will stop air from getting in once the primary fermentation is done and the offgassing of the CO2 is done. What you could do is keep your eyes on it close, then as soon as the balloon stop inflating, replace it with a solid bung. You may need to relieve pressure on it occasionally, but it may work.
The other option would be a blow off tube. A small-diameter hose should be able to make the bend without kinking up, and get down to a bottle half-full of water or sanitizer.

Well when the ballon go;s down and primary fermentation is done I plan on taking it out of the cooler and putting on an airlock. The temp will go
Up to about 70 then but primary will be done and I don't think the temp will hurt then.

Roger

jrgtr42 said:

Yes thanks. Here is your idea. What do you think.

Roger

image-3868083901.jpg

image-2617334585.jpg

Blowoff looks good. If you prefer you can probably also bend the tube around to the end points upward, tape it to the carboy, and stick an airlock in it.

Frankly I'm surprised you didn't have room for an airlock, it looks like you have a decent amount of head space in there. It must have just been a hair too short, what a pain. :)

wingedcoyote said:
Blowoff looks good. If you prefer you can probably also bend the tube around to the end points upward, tape it to the carboy, and stick an airlock in it.

Frankly I'm surprised you didn't have room for an airlock, it looks like you have a decent amount of head space in there. It must have just been a hair too short, what a pain. :)

Yes there was almost enuf room. I even tried to bend the airlock up just not enuf room.

Roger

I don't know if you've ever had a really vigorous fermentation before, but you may want to put a tray or something under your carboy/blowoff... it's a lot easier to clean a tray/ throw away some aluminum foil than to scrub out a fridge. Otherwise, setup looks great, can you drop the temp low enough to lager in it?

tacks said:
I don't know if you've ever had a really vigorous fermentation before, but you may want to put a tray or something under your carboy/blowoff... it's a lot easier to clean a tray/ throw away some aluminum foil than to scrub out a fridge. Otherwise, setup looks great, can you drop the temp low enough to lager in it?

Well my cooler gos to 54 degrees. What do all of you think could I do a lager with the lowest temp being 54.

Roger

I just got a wine fridge myself and do not have enough room for an airlock with either an ale pail or a 5 gallon carboy. I do not like the balloon idea, I just imagine a lacto infection or soemthing worse.
Here are two setups I have used:
2 gallons of cider in a 5 gallon carboy with the airlock on a hose:
LWFWo6P.jpg

5.5 gallons of wee heavy (and why you need a blow off!)

Last edited by a moderator:
BradTheGeek said:
I just got a wine fridge myself and do not have enough room for an airlock with either an ale pail or a 5 gallon carboy. I do not like the balloon idea, I just imagine a lacto infection or soemthing worse.
Here are two setups I have used:
2 gallons of cider in a 5 gallon carboy with the airlock on a hose:

5.5 gallons of wee heavy (and why you need a blow off!)
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxUkH7w_OJM

Great idea.
Thanks

Roger

What do all of you think of this idea. I am using a wine cooler set at 63 degrees with a ballon with three pin holes in it because there was not enough room for the airlock and 6 gallon carboy. So I used an ballon instead of airlock. Do you all think this will work ok.

Roger

View attachment 163470

View attachment 163471
Hi all am new to this, but love my beer and want to know what is best way to keep cool when traveling, I have looked at wine coolers will this work for beer as well as wine got a small space, sounds crazy I know, but you know all good ideas come this way. You guys look knowledgeable so would appreciate your inputhttp://www.brandsource.com/jenn-air-wine-cooler-juw24flars.html

Latest posts

Back