Wine Cellar Rack Designs/Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
I have been searching far and wide for designs to build my own wine racks for my cellar. I am looking for the type you see in custom cellars but can only find the typical garbage on the internet.

Has anyone built their own and have plans/designs you are willing to share. I am contracting someone to build a cellar (shell) for me but to save costs I am going to do all the interior finish work.

I am also looking for a custom door that won't blow my budget. Everything will be in the old world European styling. Any ideas?

There are books on the topic of cellars. Check some out from your library and see if there are any plans that tickle your fancy.

Here in Portland, OR, we have a store called ReBuild, which takes demolished parts of houses and resells them. Purple toilets, 60's light fixtures, single pained windows, old timbers... and doors! Maybe you have something like that near you. I have to say, their door selection is one of the better parts of the warehouse - grand entry way doors, closet doors, etc.

Searched both already. Times seem to have shut down all the reclaimers in this area. Plenty of metal scrappers though.

I live across the street from a large library and have already taken out every book on wine and woodworking I can find. Wine books have nothing with plans and woodworking books only have your basic 6-30 bottle craft projects that don't fit what I am looking for even if enlarged.

I store my wines in a spare bedroom so the "cool" factor you would be looking for in a "public" room is not neccesary. I'm thinking of making a wine rack that is nothing more than a series of open-faced boxes, or cubby holes that are sized to hold 30 bottles, or one batch. I think this arrangement would maximize the amount of bottles that can be stored in the given area and will be a simple matter to add to with another "row" of boxes that could go on top of the existing "boxes" when additional storage is needed.

This could be cheaply made from plywood and the front edges faced with hardwood strips to make an attracive unit.

I am planning to build a wine cellar/tasting room/humidor next to my game room in the basement. The room will be about 20' x 15'. I am looking for wine rack plans that will combine a number of storage mediums to showcase both bottles and cases as well as store/age any wines I make myself. I am having a mechanical engineer build the shell but to keep the cost down I will finish it myself thus my search for plans to build a really nice rack system.

My search continues...

Back