Wine Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped04

I am Wally
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've searched the forums and after page 4 of "wine bottling" searching on the forums...I'm just going to ask (maybe someone should write up a wine basics thread and sticky it?).

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch of wine. I have the bottles, a corker, and corks, and I'm getting ready to do everything. Is it just like beer? I sanatize corks, bucket, racking equipment, bottling equipment, and bottle like beer (minus the priming sugar)...But instead of cap, just cork?

Thanks for the help.

-Wally

I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch of wine. I have the bottles, a corker, and corks, and I'm getting ready to do everything. Is it just like beer? I sanatize corks, bucket, racking equipment, bottling equipment, and bottle like beer (minus the priming sugar)...But instead of cap, just cork?

Thanks for the help.

-Wally

Yep, everythings the same once your wine is stabalized and ready to bottle.
Leave the bottles upright for 24 hours prior to storage on their sides.

Yes, you've got it!

If the corks are in the package, you don't even need to sanitize them. Corks nowadays are designed to not be soaked in sanitizer, so what I like to do is make a cork "humidor". I take a campden tablet in 1/4 cup water, boil it for a minute in the microwave, and take the container and put it in a bigger bowl. Then I place the corks around the bowl with the campden in it (not IN the campden solution). I put the lid on it, and the corks kind of "steam" in there while I get the bottles sanitized.

I don't bother if it's a fresh bag of corks, just if the corks have been opened in my basement for a while. I assume yours are in a brand-new package.

I've searched the forums and after page 4 of "wine bottling" searching on the forums...I'm just going to ask (maybe someone should write up a wine basics thread and sticky it?).

Thanks for the help.

-Wally

I'd lose the bucket and bottle directly from the carboy using an autosiphon and a bottling wand.

Thanks boo boo and everyone for the responses.

I don't bother if it's a fresh bag of corks, just if the corks have been opened in my basement for a while. I assume yours are in a brand-new package.

I like that method Yoop. I don't have any camden. The corks are basically new. I read that the Gilda Corker didn't work with synthetic corks. Of course I hadn't read that yet when I purchased the corker and corks, so to advice of my wife (who didn't want to deal with regular corks), I bought synthetic. So I tested one out. So the bag is basically new. I'll sanatize this batch (and the synthetics did work).

I'd lose the bucket and bottle directly from the carboy using an autosiphon and a bottling wand.

I like that idea.

Back