Windows Vista

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
david_42 said:
I've done hundreds of upgrades on various types of hardware and OS's over the years and if the system hasn't been damaged, it can be a good idea. Any UNIX-like OS is simple (although the HP 9x->10x was tricky). I haven't down any upgrades on Windows systems since the 3.51/NT mess. For those, it's format and install.

My laptop can't run Vista, so it stays at W2000.

What he said. Above. ^^^^^^^^^

Copper

"Never ever Upgrade a computer !"

I always upgrade computers. The current "too slow" desktops become servers. Typically they are great for that.

The hardest part about doing a Linux upgrade is moving the data, not installing the OS or drivers. (Don't have to install drivers in Linux !). And regardless of whether you upgrade or buy new, the data has to be moved. So usually we back up onto an old hard drive, wipe the drive clean and install Linux over it. Wala, new server.

If you never upgrade, are you running a 20 year old machine or do you buy new and not move your data or what ?

And they say the minority uses linux. Look at this sample, I mean how many do we have?

desiderata said:
I haven't read through all of the posts here on this thread, so if this was already mentioned, i apologize. Anyway, it appears that Dell is considering offering Linux with it's systems in leiu of Windows. Linux even has an open source version of Office programs. How cool is that?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070307/tc_nm/dell_linux_dc_2

Actually, OpenOffice is available for Linux, Windows, and Macs (with X11 installed).

I have been running open office for nearly 4 years. I started back when Sun Microsystems open sourced their Star Office 6, hence openoffice

Back