Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since then I've kept software discs and license codes in a binder so I can match the Service code for a machine to it's License codes.

Most of the softwares I have are downloads that were installed immediately.

I do keep a txt file where I record all my keys for future reference but with Office I was not sure which version I had the key for since I failed to clarify version. Didn't matter anyway because I still needed to relocate the download link.

UPDATE: I tried installing from a reboot so I can completely wipe the Windows 7 install, and it won't take my code from the sticker on my Dell for Windows 7 Ultimate. I know this is a valid installation so I'm trying the UPGRADE process now. I'll be irked if they won't let us do a clean install without an actual Windows 10 code.

I have wondered about this since this is an upgrade patch to begin with.

Well, the UPGRADE didn't work either. I used the key on the sticker that came with the DELL, and I used the FACTORY KEY that was still embedded in the system.

So I don't know why it's not working. This is an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate bought straight from Dell. I JUST installed and upgraded the Windows 7 fresh a few days ago and it's not been on the Domain (I think) since then and certainly isn't currently connected to the domain.

I have already asked the lady in the next office if she minds if I turn up my music a bit. I'm going to need it a bit louder an angrier.

Most of the softwares I have are downloads that were installed immediately.

I do keep a txt file where I record all my keys for future reference but with Office I was not sure which version I had the key for since I failed to clarify version. Didn't matter anyway because I still needed to relocate the download link.

I have wondered about this since this is an upgrade patch to begin with.

For Office you can download the trial version and use your key. At least for the more recent versions. I keep a few varieties of trials on the network so I can just pick the right one and use the key from their packaging. Not absolutely sure about the new Office 365. We've been upgrading to Office 2013.

Oh F#$%!

This is from a website:

Failure to perform an initial upgrade will result in an unactivated Windows 10 Installation.

* Attempted direct Clean Install will lead to an unactivated install because the system isn’t verified as a Windows 10 Device. You will need to Reinstall your Base Windows License, update it and perform the Upgrade via Windows Update. In other words direct Clean Installation of Windows 10 won’t work but the Initial Upgrade via Windows Update and a Clean Reinstallation of Windows 10 will work. Initially I named my website DellWindowsReinstallationGuide as it was based on a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD but the name is well suited to the procedure necessary to get a Clean Reinstallation for Windows 10. Clean Reinstallation = Clean Installation with Product Activation.

Well, the UPGRADE didn't work either. I used the key on the sticker that came with the DELL, and I used the FACTORY KEY that was still embedded in the system.

So I don't know why it's not working. This is an OEM Windows 7 Ultimate bought straight from Dell. I JUST installed and upgraded the Windows 7 fresh a few days ago and it's not been on the Domain (I think) since then and certainly isn't currently connected to the domain.

I have already asked the lady in the next office if she minds if I turn up my music a bit. I'm going to need it a bit louder an angrier.

I was JUST reading about clean install of Win10. They all strongly suggest the upgrade path first to ensure the keys register properly.

For Office you can download the trial version and use your key. At least for the more recent versions. I keep a few varieties of trials on the network so I can just pick the right one and use the key from their packaging. Not absolutely sure about the new Office 365. We've been upgrading to Office 2013.

Yeah. I was banking on this before I stumbled with the key. And in the process of searching for my key I started wondering if there is any distinct difference in the actual software between HUP version and full retail so, I erred toward finding the Install link for the HUP version.

Oh F#$%!

This is from a website:

Failure to perform an initial upgrade will result in an unactivated Windows 10 Installation.

* Attempted direct Clean Install will lead to an unactivated install because the system isn’t verified as a Windows 10 Device. You will need to Reinstall your Base Windows License, update it and perform the Upgrade via Windows Update. In other words direct Clean Installation of Windows 10 won’t work but the Initial Upgrade via Windows Update and a Clean Reinstallation of Windows 10 will work. Initially I named my website DellWindowsReinstallationGuide as it was based on a Dell Windows Reinstallation DVD but the name is well suited to the procedure necessary to get a Clean Reinstallation for Windows 10. Clean Reinstallation = Clean Installation with Product Activation.

Well, it is Microsoft. ;)

But don't use Internet Explorer 10. It doesn't work right on IE 10.

I had to use Firefox to get it to render the page properly...

LOL! You know, I do technical project management and system analysis for a living, and it just blows me away how badly MS stuff is handled. If I did that here....whoo buddy there would be some upset, and very powerful, customers.

LOL! You know, I do technical project management and system analysis for a living, and it just blows me away how badly MS stuff is handled. If I did that here....whoo buddy there would be some upset, and very powerful, customers.

Well, MS's own sites says you have to upgrade to IE11 to download the upgrade...

Maybe that's what I did wrong. I used FF and now I can't install! :(

;)

Did the Win10 upgrade. All seemed to be fine and I actually liked most of what I saw.

Then I rebooted. BSOD. System could find an OS in the BCD. WTF? Tried a few command lines to repair but no good.

Had to do a clean install. FML. I know it's better to have clean install but ... that was time I want back.

I've taken to doing full backups before major upgrades. Yeah, I waste 30-40 minutes with the backup but it sure as hell beats hours and hours when the upgrade goes south.

I've got my laptop and my desktop upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrade on ym desktop took all day, mostly due to the 'mystery activation scheme' nonsense. Might have been a lot better for Microsoft if they chose to honor Windows 7 & 8 serials on install as opposed to the current setup, which involves upgrading from an install, and their activation server remembers your hardware 'fingerprint'. I'm still wondering what I'm going to do if I have to swap out motherboards. How the hell do I activate then? Or am I screwed and looking at buying a windows 10 CD? I'm guessing at the latter of the two.

On the other side of it, with an SSD for OS/Apps on my desktop and an SSD in my laptop (Both have the Windows 8 fast boot/UEFI bios setups) startup is insanely fast. It's comparable to waking from sleep mode in windows 7.

I've taken to doing full backups before major upgrades. Yeah, I waste 30-40 minutes with the backup but it sure as hell beats hours and hours when the upgrade goes south.

I've got my laptop and my desktop upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrade on ym desktop took all day, mostly due to the 'mystery activation scheme' nonsense. Might have been a lot better for Microsoft if they chose to honor Windows 7 & 8 serials on install as opposed to the current setup, which involves upgrading from an install, and their activation server remembers your hardware 'fingerprint'. I'm still wondering what I'm going to do if I have to swap out motherboards. How the hell do I activate then? Or am I screwed and looking at buying a windows 10 CD? I'm guessing at the latter of the two.

On the other side of it, with an SSD for OS/Apps on my desktop and an SSD in my laptop (Both have the Windows 8 fast boot/UEFI bios setups) startup is insanely fast. It's comparable to waking from sleep mode in windows 7.

That is one nice feature of the newer MS OS's. Paired with an SSD they boot REAL fast on a fresh or clean install.

I'm updated on this Win 7 and ready to try the upgrade, but of course I jus tgot a new computer in that needs to be configured for the CNC department, so I have to do that first. Right after I get caught up on HBT posts! ;)

A couple other annoyances I noticed about the Win10.

1.) If you have an Xbox One and have other accounts linked as family members in the Xbox One, then Win10 will automatically add them as other users as soon as you click the button to add a user. I get it, but do not like it. Mainly because on the same screen they offer no way to remove accounts. I like to have an admin account and a user account. Had to look around to find User Accounts in the control panel to remove unnecessary accounts.

2.) Cortana does not work if the user account is a child under the age of 13. Something to do with COPPA. And offer no way to "allow" a child to use Cortana. I had to go into my sons Microsoft Account and change his age to 14 before he and his brother could use Cortana. We use my oldest sons Microsoft account for the secondary user, instead of a local account, to keep the live tiles functional. I dunno if it's change in Win10 but Win8 required a MS Account to make tiles useful. Even stupid **** like the calendar tile would not work without a MS Account.

After re-installing Windows 7 and updating, the Media Creation USB Stick still would not accept the Reg Code from neither the sticker on the case, nor the Reg Code that Windows was already using (From Dell).

I did get a task bar icon, though, and it managed to install this morning. Will get a chance to go through it later. Already turned off as much of the Microsoft Reporting crap as I could find during the install process.

I did get a task bar icon, though, and it managed to install this morning. Will get a chance to go through it later. Already turned off as much of the Microsoft Reporting crap as I could find during the install process.

Settings > Update and Security > Activation

It should say:

Windows 10 Home Edition
Activated

I got to check it out a bit at lunch. Not bad. I'm still not sure what the heck they are trying to do with making a lot of things seem like tryware. The interface is a bit different, but similar enough to Win7 that it's navigable. Not sure how to uninstall OneCloud. I click on the option and it takes me to programs and features, but it's not in there. I have no use for could storage.

Will probably take a while to learn more about the networking and security.

I got to check it out a bit at lunch. Not bad. I'm still not sure what the heck they are trying to do with making a lot of things seem like tryware. The interface is a bit different, but similar enough to Win7 that it's navigable. Not sure how to uninstall OneCloud. I click on the option and it takes me to programs and features, but it's not in there. I have no use for could storage.

Will probably take a while to learn more about the networking and security.

IIUC, like with Win8.1 you cannot uninstall Onecloud. IIRC, it's not even a features option to deselect and you can only turn off syncing to it automatically.

I have read that you can defeat it in registry but fabot.

I uninstalled a few things I didn't think I'd need. I decided to check out the installed weather app and I actually like it a lot. It's got all of the relevant information I want laid out in a very concise manner. I might not uninstall it.

I uninstalled a few things I didn't think I'd need. I decided to check out the installed weather app and I actually like it a lot. It's got all of the relevant information I want laid out in a very concise manner. I might not uninstall it.

Make sure to check Advanced Options under how you receive updates. I just read a article about how the options there essentially turn your PC and Network into a torrent client to deliver updates elsewhere.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html

Also may want to turn Wi-Fi sense settings off under manage network, WiFi, Advanced.

Check those off as a hit against sanity.

I upgraded to Windows 10 over the weekend and everything went pretty smoothly. Download took about 20 min and then the actual upgrade took about an hour without any setbacks.

I upgraded from Windows 7 and it has taken some time to get use to the new layout and functions but all in all I like it.

One thing that I am trying to do is use the OneDrive as an offsite backup of my computer and security camera's but I can't seem to find the option to do a full backup. I can only find the sync option which really isn't what I'm looking for. Has anybody been able to do a full backup on Onedrive?

I upgraded to Windows 10 over the weekend and everything went pretty smoothly. Download took about 20 min and then the actual upgrade took about an hour without any setbacks.

I upgraded from Windows 7 and it has taken some time to get use to the new layout and functions but all in all I like it.

One thing that I am trying to do is use the OneDrive as an offsite backup of my computer and security camera's but I can't seem to find the option to do a full backup. I can only find the sync option which really isn't what I'm looking for. Has anybody been able to do a full backup on Onedrive?

Check the Backup utility and see if OneDrive is listed as a storage option.

Make sure to check Advanced Options under how you receive updates. I just read a article about how the options there essentially turn your PC and Network into a torrent client to deliver updates elsewhere.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/windows-10-update.html

Also may want to turn Wi-Fi sense settings off under manage network, WiFi, Advanced.

Check those off as a hit against sanity.

Yes, I talked with an old friend last night who I happened upon at the store. He's seriously interested in switching to Linux because of the adware/torrent/reporting stuff that Windows 10 is supposed to have.

I am reserving judgement until I get a good look. If they actually allow you to turn that stuff off if you don't want the "benefit" then I think the interface and security and features makes this a nice upgrade. There is a little gettign used to, but I was able to find everything I wanted to find and then some just by poking around. UNLIKE WINDOWS 8!

Oh, and this friend has been interested in Linux for decades. I'm listening to him with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Anyway, I have to get up to speed on 10 because of work. I skipped 8 because I decided early on that we weren't going to switch from 7 unless forced to.

Yes, I talked with an old friend last night who I happened upon at the store. He's seriously interested in switching to Linux because of the adware/torrent/reporting stuff that Windows 10 is supposed to have.

I am reserving judgement until I get a good look. If they actually allow you to turn that stuff off if you don't want the "benefit" then I think the interface and security and features makes this a nice upgrade. There is a little gettign used to, but I was able to find everything I wanted to find and then some just by poking around. UNLIKE WINDOWS 8!

Oh, and this friend has been interested in Linux for decades. I'm listening to him with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

Anyway, I have to get up to speed on 10 because of work. I skipped 8 because I decided early on that we weren't going to switch from 7 unless forced to.

I am fairly certain I have poked at every option I can find in Win10 like the WiFi sense BS. Not sure I have poked deep enough to find the torrent BS.

I found the backup utility last night and OneDrive wasn't an option. It was late and I was frustrated so I will look again to see if I missed something.

Thanks,

I'd be surprised if it isn't listed in Backup > Storage Options > Network Options.

I don't do cloud so I did not notice one way or another.

I don't have an issue with Microsoft using P2P to move updates etc to clients. P2P it is so efficient.

Yes, it's good for a lot of people. Some people don't' want their computer uploading to others and "stealing" their bandwidth (While they happily suck files from other computers...)

I'm pretty sure several of my games use torrent to update content. Runs VERY fast after a certain number of people get their seeding up.

I have always thought of converting to linux, I am now at the point where my xp desktop is now a music machine in the garage. Curious how the transition is to linux.

If you are interested in trying Linux, and have little experience, maybe try Mint. I've heard it's the most user-friendly distro out there for Windows users. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I might dual-boot this workstation and see what it's like. I'd honestly be fine running either OS for day-to-day stuff, but I have to have Window available sometimes.

I *should* look into a Virtual Machine solution.

Yes, it's good for a lot of people. Some people don't' want their computer uploading to others and "stealing" their bandwidth (While they happily suck files from other computers...)

I'm fine with torrent style updates, so long as my own network isn't affected. Had several devices take a laggy nosedive on my network. Once I turned the torrent feature off all went back to normal.

And WTF is it with Microsoft and the fvcking power/user login location.

Do they not feel they have properly innovated a new OS unless the move that damned thing to a different corner than the last OS?

Lower left is reasonable and expected. Just like XP and the OS before it. I even got used to it being on the upper right in Win8.1.

bless all if the top left corner isn't just weird. Takes me a bit to remember it each time. I naturally go to the left first. But the lower left.

And WTF is it with Microsoft and the fvcking power/user login location.

Do they not feel they have properly innovated a new OS unless the move that damned thing to a different corner than the last OS?

Lower left is reasonable and expected. Just like XP and the OS before it. I even got used to it being on the upper right in Win8.1.

bless all if the top left corner isn't just weird. Takes me a bit to remember it each time. I naturally go to the left first. But the lower left.

Just think, someone probably earned a bonus for that suggestion....sigh.

I ended up trying Linux Mint yesterday. I loaded it in a Virtualbox in Windows 10 (not technically supported yet, but supposed to be useable at this time) and it seemed pretty decent. I didn't like the graphics driver being virtual. I think it made the interface feel gummy, but that could have been my imagination.

I shrunk the Windows partition and installed Mint into the freespace. I have the bootloader for Mint giving me the option of which OS to run, so I can use either one if I feel like it.

Surprisingly, Mint had recent drivers for the video already, I only had to choose it from a list. It also easily loaded useful drivers for the HP color laser down the hall. this may be the first Linux I've used that handled printer drivers that easily.

I haven't really gotten into it, but so far I am happy to report that admin things seem easy to find and use. I watched half an episode of Titansgrave in Firefox while messing with things.

Still not a huge fan of the feel of the mouse cursor doing some things, but I 'd probably get used to it over a little time. Mint seems to emulate Windows more than the other distros I've used.

Not sure why top left is so weird either.

Heard at design engineer meeting...

"New version coming out soon, anyone give any thought about where to put the admin login?"

"Sorry, I've been busy working with our ad providers to spend any time on it."

"Nope. Does it matter?"

"Jeremy?"

"Jeremy isn't here. He's still sulking about bringing back the desktop."

"Nobody? Ok, well then, Tina just shove it in a corner somewhere. Just make sure it's not the same corner as last time. We need this interface to be different so people don't think they're buying the same old OS..."

Ha. That is somewhat how I imagined it. Mine was more,

"Okay we copied Win7 for the majority of this build, and we copied Win8.1 for the majority if the GUI. It's time get innovative people! We need something different, and fresh. Lets hear it."

"I don't think we've put the admin login in the top left corner yet."

I do love the broad integration of Win10 with almost everything but I am also still getting used to the PIN login option. Definitely makes it easier for the boys.

Except, we forgot his PIN the other day. After a few guesses we got back in but had also opened the garage door, disarmed the alarm on the car, and reset the time on the microwave.

Back