Wilser bag- how do you get it to lift out from the middle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used my wilser bag for many brews now and it's not a big deal, but when I lift it out it sorta leans to one side or the other and wants to spin a little because the drawstring for the bag isn't centered obviously. Is there some kind of easy workaround for this?
Thanks

Last edited:
Even tilted over a bit, I don't have a problem with it. I first pull it up just a bit, still in the kettle. Then I'll pull it up further and a very controlled stream forms.

20200811_213545.jpg

I've used my wilser bag for many brews now and it's not a big deal, but when I lift it out it sorta leans to one side or the other and wants to spin a little because the drawstring for the bag isn't centered obviously. Is there some kind of easy workaround for this?
Thanks

Don't lift it by the drawstring. Take a short loop of cord and wrap it a couple of times around the neck of the bag while leaving the starting end of the loop out, then pass the wrapped around end through the loop that was left out. It will cinch up tight and give you a good anchor to attach your pulley to. The above picture looks like they do this.

Raise slowly, letting it drain over the pot between raises. Keep the pot centered under the bag, moving the pot a little if necessary.

Don't lift it by the drawstring. Take a short loop of cord and wrap it a couple of times around the neck of the bag while leaving the starting end of the loop out, then pass the wrapped around end through the loop that was left out. It will cinch up tight and give you a good anchor to attach your pulley to. The above picture looks like they do this.

Raise slowly, letting it drain over the pot between raises.

Indeed.

This pic shows a big grist mid-drain. Note that half the bag is still under water, just the top part of the grain is draining.

20201001_220011.jpg

Last edited:

Raise slowly, letting it drain over the pot between raises. Keep the pot centered under the bag, moving the pot a little if necessary.
This is the way I do it, when I ordered my Wilser bag it came with a short cord to do just this. It comes up about an inch off center, so I just shift the hoist position before I begin listing.

Back