will this work for a manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpdb185

Reaction score
i copied this idea from someone else on here (sorry, can't remember who). didn't have quick access to a jig saw or anything, so i just drilled 3/32 holes all in the tubing. i tested it with water for leaks and syphoning. no leaks and it drained all but 1 3/4 cups of liquid. is that good? does anybody see anything wrong with this setup? thanks.

oh yeah, this is going in an Igloo 48qt Ice Cube.

PS: for those who aren't aware, spray foam insulation is a ***** to get off your hands and it will not come out of you'r wife's $100 area rug :mad:.

here's the pics:

MLTmanifold001.jpg
MLTmanifold002.jpg
MLTmanifold003.jpg

my only concern might be the silicone tubing that you are using to connect the manifold to the bulkheard but other than that, looks pretty solid to me.

+1 on the tubing. I used vinyl tubing in my mash tun once and it collapsed from the heat and weight causing a stuck mash. I would suggest replacing it with high temp silicone or perhaps the braided vinyl would work (didn't try that).

i was more concerned about the holes in place of slits. i wasn't sure if it would affect the efficiency or something. and i do plan on using silicone tubing. that was just a piece i used to fit it all together. i hope to put it to the test real soon. i built my keggle, built a CFC, and now i have a mash tun. now i just need to study up a bit more before i take the AG plunge!

i was more concerned about the holes in place of slits. i wasn't sure if it would affect the efficiency or something. and i do plan on using silicone tubing. that was just a piece i used to fit it all together. i hope to put it to the test real soon. i built my keggle, built a CFC, and now i have a mash tun. now i just need to study up a bit more before i take the AG plunge!

Holes work well. I have 1/16 holes on my manifold and it works great.

PS: for those who aren't aware, spray foam insulation is a ***** to get off your hands and it will not come out of you'r wife's $100 area rug :mad:.

Hindsight is 20/20, learned that lesson years ago. DAP (white and blue can) spray foam wont stick and is water soluable before it cures, but on the other hand it is way softer (less dense) than Great Stuff. Doesn't matter much if its inside hidden inside the walls cooler.

Looks good. I used the white, and more rigid, tubing from the hardware store and it's been working good. I don't even have any clamps to hold it on. I like this design because you can lift the manifold up and clean the bottom very easily without it coming apart.

it did take quite a while to drill the holes, but i had the time to waste. the only thing soldered is the side with the T fittings. the rest is kept together by the very snug fit against the cooler walls. it takes all of 5 seconds to install or remove. the hose isn't going to be a problem (i hope) because the unsupported section is only about 1/2 inch and it has nowhere to go.

Back