will this recipe work out? HIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
white HIPA

Brewer: JD Email: -
Beer: white HIPA Style: India Pale Ale
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
10 HCU (~7 SRM)
Bitterness: 27 IBU
OG: 1.055 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.3% v/v (4.2% w/w)
Grain: 2 lb. Belgian Pilsner
.5 lb. American Vienna
.5 lb. Flaked corn
Boil: minutes SG 1.092 3 gallons
5 lb. Light malt extract
4 oz. Honey
1 lb. Amber malt extract
Hops: .50 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Mt. Hood (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Mt. Hood (4.5% AA, 30 min.)
.25 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 30 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)
.5 oz. Centennial (aroma)
.5 oz. Saaz (aroma)

any suggestions on this?
i want to make a nice tasty, refreshing, easy drinking brew for summer. i made this recipe up and i am kindof proud of it lol, feel free to tell me what is wrong with it! or what i might change? white ipa.

I'm not familiar with white IPA...why is it an IPA if it has less than 40 IBU's? I would call this a Pale Ale, sounds pretty good but why the corn?

Some general thoughts:

- What is a HIPA - a honey IPA?

- Your IBUs are low for the style, you'll need to bump those up to at least 40 IBUs for this to be considered any form of IPA

- You need to do a little research on why we add hops at certain points in the boil vs. others. You've got three different varieties going in at 60 minutes and four different varieties going in at 30 minutes, but none will really alter the flavor profile of your beer except for perceived bitterness. So save the ones that have the aroma and flavor profile you are looking for, and wait to add those in with 15 minutes or less in the boil. Put hops in at the beginning of the boil that will help you get most of the way to your desired level of bitterness, but don't bother to do a lot of different varieties because you won't be able to tell the origins of the alpha acids after the hops have been boiled for 60 minutes. Same could arguably be said for the 30 minute additions. In fact, most people don't do 30 minute additions any more, opting instead to just put those in at the beginning or save them for the end.

- You say this is a white ipa, but you've got 7 srm for color, so it's going to come out a little more copper-toned. If you want it to be that gold, translucent color, you'll need to lose that Amber malt extract addition. You could replace it with some additional light extract or some carapils for body/head-retention.

- The honey and corn additions are somewhat puzzling and not very indicative of the style - what exactly are you going for with those? If you want to dry this out, you might just put some plain old refined sugar in there, mash low (148-150), and use an aggressive/high-attenuating yeast.

I really dont know why I added the corn, I really have never attempted putting a rrecipe together and I thought iit sounded interesting. I will take the corn out. I will most likely scratch the amber extract and add An additional pound of light emergency in its place. What ideas woukd you change in thd hop schedule to get a little closer to 40ibus? Really a little less woukd be fine with me. I forgot tto say I was also possibly interested in throwing in some coriander and orange peel. How could I work a little of those flavors into this recipe?

This shouldn't be called a hipa but a white ipa. I am looking to take some of the characteristics of a wit beer and mix it with a refreshing ipa.. thank-you guys for the help! I will brew this as soon as I feel we have worked it out

Wits and whites are wheat beers - I don't see any wheat malt?
Coriander and orange peel are often used in wheat beers - not so much in barley-based beers.

"A little less" means less hops? then your IBUs are going lower not higher - you cannot really call this "IPA" if you're not at LEAST 40. Bitterness should be significantly perceptible.
If you want lower than the 27 you have listed, you're into a nice amber or cream ale that you're doctoring, not even a Pale Ale, and most certainly not an IPA.

This shouldn't be called a hipa but a white ipa. I am looking to take some of the characteristics of a wit beer and mix it with a refreshing ipa.. thank-you guys for the help! I will brew this as soon as I feel we have worked it out

Just as background, a characteristic wit beer will have a grain bill of about 50% unmalted wheat and 50% pilsner, with some other minor additions to taste.

Off the top of my head I would just go with something like 3 lbs. pilsner malt, .5 lb vienna, 3 lbs. unmalted wheat, and 3 lbs. extra light extract and some honey or simple refined sugar to make sure it doesn't get too sweet on you. Stick to citrusy hops for flavor and aroma - the C's are good: Cascade, Centennial, Columbus. Use Noble hops for bittering - shoot for around 30 IBUs, like you are doing, which will land between a wit beer and an IPA.

That's a really really tall order that you are taking on - combining two divergent styles. Since this is your first recipe, I wouldn't shoot for the stars like that. Go to the recipe page on this site and see what others have tried, and make very minor changes to those rather than trying to do it on your own.

This is the second thread I've seen on a white IPA...

apparently us caucasians got whiny about the popularity of Dark/Black IPA's?

Is it supposed to be some kind of wheat/wit inspired IPA?
Commercial examples?

ok.. so i am not going to try and call this an ipa anymore lol.. i would love to hear what you would call this. i have taken most of the information you all have given to me and this is the batch i came up with. feel free to keep critiquing me! i want to end up with a tasty beer when we are through.

Brewer: JD Email: -
Beer: RETRY! Style: -
Type: Extract w/grain Size: 5 gallons
Color:
7 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 29 IBU
OG: 1.054 FG: 1.014
Alcohol: 5.1% v/v (4.0% w/w)
Grain: 2.5 lb. Belgian Pilsner
.5 lb. American Vienna
2.5 lb. Raw wheat
Boil: minutes SG 1.089 3 gallons
4 lb. Light malt extract
1 lb. Honey
Hops: 1.25 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Centennial (10.5% AA, 15 min.)
.25 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)
.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)
.5 oz. Saaz (aroma)
i intend on putting coriander and orange peel in this batch, should it go in the boil or in the fermenter? or the secondary? what would this beer be called? sorry for describing it as an ipa originally.

and how much of those spices would you use? typical irish moss addition in the last 15 mins of boil?

It's more efficient to use a high AA% hop for the 60 minutes bittering addition. Centenial would work fine but it's a more expensive hop so I would use it near the end of the boil and then finish with Cascades for aroma. Columbus and Magnum are good bittering hops and generally 2 of the cheapest hops.

Have you ever had Sierra Nevada American Pale Ale? That beer has 37 IBU's. So if you want it to taste that bitter and hoppy you would want to aim for the mid-30's. Using higher AA% hops at 60 minutes will help you get there without using more hop weight.

Generally spices tend to get lost in a beer with a lot of aroma hops added near the end of the boil. Blue Moon Belgian Wheat beer uses Orange peel and Corriander near the end of the boil, about 1/2 oz of crushed corriander and 1/4 oz of crushed sweet orange peel will get you a spice level similar to Blue Moon in a 5 gal batch. That level of spice will clash with a beer with a lot of hops at the end. I would either do one or the other, concentrate on hop aroma or concentrate on spice aroma. If you go with spices you can add your hops only at 60 minutes, forget the aroma hops.

Latest posts

Back