Will this mellow out, or have i destroyed it by experimenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Last week i made this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/northern-mystery-last-tweak-before-brewday-7th-oct-140198/
I decided to leave the crystal hops in whilst i was cooling the wort as i understand them to be a very mellow hop.

I had a taste test yesterday and it is true that they have a very orange/tangerine type tast to them, At present this is overppowering in the brew and i am not sure that it will be drinkable.

I guess one has to try and fail.

This should be ready for kegging/bottling in about 4 days time i guess, and i wonder if this strong tangerine hop taste will mellow with time in the keg. It had a realtively high OG of 1053 so it needs some time to condition anyway.

What are the thoughts of the experts here, and is there anything that can be added after the initial fermetation to dull the overpowering bitter orange taste.
I had this recipe checked and it should be ok, ( the only deviation was that the 20 g crystal went in at 2 minutes and stayed for the chill which took 25 minutes,.)

Thanks as always, one day i'll get the hang of this AG thing.

I am guessing i should bottle a little and keg the rest so that i can have a taste control in a few weeks ?

D

I have never used crystal hops, but it should mellow in time. Odds are in three weeks it will be blended nicely into the other flavours.
As the say, time heals most wounds.
Best of luck.

Its only been 5 days since brewing so of course it tastes harsh... leave it in secondary for another week or two, then bottle/keg and leave alone for another 2-3 weeks. It will taste fine after that.

I use crystal often and never had those flavors in my beer. Do you take you hops out when you chill I've never heard of that before ?

I use crystal often and never had those flavors in my beer. Do you take you hops out when you chill I've never heard of that before ?

Usually i put the late aroma hops in with between 15 and 2 minutes of the boil left.

This time the 20 grams crystal got stuck under the chiller, and i didn't want to start lifting it out etc so left it.

There is without doubt a lovelt tangerine flavour there, the Wyeast esb went nuts and took the top off the Fv quite literally.

As i say at the moment the taste is so strong that it is almost not palatable. I just hope it calms.. I am hoping this will be drinkable for around early december when the inlaws come.

I guess a few bottles will be a good idea as well as the kegs, i can control them a little better than, say 2 weeks after bottling then 3 etc etc.

I've made an APA several times now, and when I bottle it I taste some, like I do with all my brews. Going into the bottles, it tasted like someone had snuck into my basement and poured lysol into it. 3 weeks later, it's always absolutely delicious and everything has mellowed out and blended together. Strange things happen when you leave your beer alone to do its own thing for a couple weeks, I'd even bet your inlaws will consider buying you something to brew beer with. Mine bought me some brewing toys, at least.

I've made an APA several times now, and when I bottle it I taste some, like I do with all my brews. Going into the bottles, it tasted like someone had snuck into my basement and poured lysol into it. 3 weeks later, it's always absolutely delicious and everything has mellowed out and blended together. Strange things happen when you leave your beer alone to do its own thing for a couple weeks, I'd even bet your inlaws will consider buying you something to brew beer with. Mine bought me some brewing toys, at least.

He has spoken about getting me to teach him... although he lives 700 miles away and this is a bit far for a brewday.

Besides which,he says knowing that there is likely something decent on tap at ours makes the journey worth while.

Right now i have an oatmeal stout conditioning, thats due for tasting in about 3 weeks, and then this one. I also hope to get a sneaky inter warmer brewed and fermented somewhere untouched by the wife!

that should be a good un if the bobek arrives!

Back