Will this boil screen work in a 48-quart chest cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chexjc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have a 5-gallon rubbermaid drink cooler setup with this 6" boil screen from MWS setup to do partial mashing.

Homebrewfinds posted this 48-quart chest cooler for $14.99 at KMart. Looks like a good opportunity for me to upgrade my system to do all-grain.

My question is, will the 6" screen suffice for mashing, or do I need to build/buy a longer hose-type screen? This thing is plenty strong to support the weight of the grain, but I'm just not sure if it's long enough?

Bonus question: Is there any benefit to a drink cooler vs. a chest cooler?

Thanks!

Jason

MWS also has a 12 inch version that might give you better results. I think the main issue is to avoid channeling in the grain bed (easy paths for the wort to drain out unevenly).

I know a lot of people spend a lot of time designing their manifolds for the cooler so that there is an even distribution of entry points to maximize smooth lautering.

I don't know if there is any benefit to the rectangular design vs the round ones.

You could also look at building a PVC/CPVC manifold for the rectangular cooler. I think more people use those than just the boil screen.

MWS also has a 12 inch version that might give you better results. I think the main issue is to avoid channeling in the grain bed (easy paths for the wort to drain out unevenly).

I know a lot of people spend a lot of time designing their manifolds for the cooler so that there is an even distribution of entry points to maximize smooth lautering.

I don't know if there is any benefit to the rectangular design vs the round ones.

You could also look at building a PVC/CPVC manifold for the rectangular cooler. I think more people use those than just the boil screen.

Thanks for the reply. I should have specified that I am batch sparging. I guess the only concern is about grain bed height right? I want to do BM's Centennial Blonde as my first AG batch. Being that it's only ~8.5lbs of grains, is that a concern about grain bed depth?

If you build a manifold don't use pvc as its only heat resistant to 140. I learned that the hard way with some plasticy IPA

You can get a braided stainless steel wrapped supply line for $3-4 at your local hardware store to build a MLT ala Denny Conn or Don Osborn and be into a cooler MLT for under $25.

Links for build:

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

I think this is the route that I'll go. Thanks for all the advice guys! Here's a thought -- do you think I could mash the 8.75lbs of grain in a 5-gallon MLT? I did a calculation and I'd need like 7.6 Gallons of water total. Maybe 3.1 gallons mash, 4.5 gallons sparge. Would that leave enough room for the grain?

The 6" screen will work fine for batch sparging on a 48 qt cooler. Short braid, long braid makes not much difference, most of the wort exits the cooler nearest the bulkhead, within the first several inches of the braid. I have seen guys batch sparge w massive 120 qt coolers and a little 6" stub of w braid.

Search "ten minute mash tun" for a very simple inexpensive picnic cooler MT w braid.

The 6" screen will work fine for batch sparging on a 48 qt cooler. Short braid, long braid makes not much difference, most of the wort exits the cooler nearest the bulkhead, within the first several inches of the braid. I have seen guys batch sparge w massive 120 qt coolers and a little 6" stub of w braid.

Search "ten minute mash tun" for a very simple inexpensive picnic cooler MT w braid.

Cool! Thanks for all the advice, all! I picked up the cooler locally yesterday -- I guess I may as well try the ball-valve and screen I already have before I go out and build a new setup.

Back