Will these turn out well?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
10 lbs of year-old 2-row, double crushed
1/2 lb crystal
1 oz Mt. Hood (6.6%a) at boil
1/2 oz Fuggle at finish
Safale 05
1 tsp gelatin on day 4 of ferment

10 lbs of year-old 2-row, double crushed
1/2 lb crystal
1/2 oz Fuggle at boil
1/2 oz Fuggle at finish
Safale 04

Used BIAB. The batches have been in the fermenters 4 days at 68-70 deg but it is going down to 56 tonight. The fermentation seems to have leveled off, I was planning on bottling in 3-7 days. I have one oz of lactic acid that I may divide between the batches.

Not very exciting, I know. The different hops at boil is an experiment to see what hops I dislike in IPAs, the bittering or the aroma hops.

Two carboys.jpg

If the fermentation has slowed (as it should at day 4) you should warm the beer, not cool it if you intend to bottle soon. Bring that beer up into the low 70's so the yeast finish up instead of cooling it so they quit before the job is done.

I'll open the garage door and let them warm up today. Maybe sprinkle in a little more safale?

I'll open the garage door and let them warm up today. Maybe sprinkle in a little more safale?

There's no point in adding more yeast, it won't do a thing, good or bad. But as said before give it some extra time at higher temps, like low 70s to finish out, say a week. Try to keep your temps steady. Fluctuating temps are not helping your yeast or fermentation process.

Oh, and keep 'em out of sunlight to prevent skunking your beer!

Opening the garage door is letting in light, I'll cover them up. At pitching SG was 1.052, is now 1.014. Maybe it's okay after all and I can start bottling.

Latest posts

Back