Will these QDs work with a Chugger?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
Thinking about taking the plung on a Chugger and kinda wanna get ahead of the curve. I already have these QD's from more beer. Will they work or restrict flow too much? I don't mind going to a cam lock system but would rather not spend the money if I don't have to. Side note I will be using a dip tube with this that is 5/16 ID. (Assuming I should jump to 1/2")

Thanks

What I have for reference:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mpt-stainless-steel-male-quick-disconnect.html

https://www.morebeer.com/products/mpt-stainless-steel-female-quick-disconnect.html

The ID is 1/2" you should be fine. I went with a 5/8" dip tube. I wasn't taking any chances with not feeding my pumps enough flow. It maybe over kill but I can always throttle back the pumps. I'm always worried about hops or grain blocking the flow from the kettles. So, for 2 more dollars I took no chances.

You are not wrong, but the issue I have is I already have 2 males and 1 female in the QDs so it's cheaper to just buy what else I need then buying everything from scratch.

Sorry reading fail haha. It's never too late to switch :)

Just a quick thought. Are you using the barbed QD's on your hoses? The ID of the barbed ends of the QD's are only 3/8". They are 1/2" barbs, but the ID itself is restricted to 3/8", so you will have a bottle neck at the barbs. The pieces you linked with the MPT connector are 1/2" through.

Also YMMV on QD's from different manufacturers. Not all are created equal and will mate up properly. If you know who made your current set, it's best to buy the same or verify if they will work first. If you haven't checked that might be something to think about, if you already have, disregard.

Back