Will the Extended Primary/Secondary debate always be split?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pastor the debate over heaven and hell. Has not been settled in how many years ? Your fine with ever you want to do.

Pastor the debate over heaven and hell. Has not been settled in how many years ? Your fine with ever you want to do.

Debate over existence of God is even longer, lol.

But in all seriousness, anybody can debate anything. I was kinda hoping the current trends that are working best would be shown, and I have learned A LOT since starting this thread.

Yes the debate is longer. And the same as your thread wanted asked. And has been stated here previously. There is no problem with doing a long primary or a secondary!. As is there is no scientific proof of heaven or HELL.

Well, folks like Revvy have been beating the drum on this for years, so a lot of us are a little late to the party. But you should definitely get in the habit of searching for answers before firing up a new thread on something that has likely been beaten to death in this forum. There are a minimum of 3 "should I secondary?" threads a day here - maybe we could get it down to 2?

I know nothing. I am 3 days into brewing my FIRST batch. Unless I have something that needs / requires VERY LONG (mead) fermentation times, I think I am only going to Primary. Even then.... who knows.....

:D

KillJoy

Some people here need to chill. Instead of complaining on this thread just get the mods to take it down then. I didn't see a thread at the time and sorry I didn't check the history. That's why I am in the beginner's forum. I'm a beginner. I see lots of reposts here and the info is current and relevant. So seriously, what is the big deal? If I'm really ruining your day with this thread then you need to relax, grab a brew, and watch some Office or 30 Rock. I have Netflix on my Wii and it does wonders for the "this-freakin-guy-soured-my-day-with-his-repost-thread" emotion.

personal preference, i secondary, don't know if it does me any good, i transfer my wines several times, my beer is good, so i will continue to secondary. one of these days i will brew two identical batches, secondary one and not the other, bottle on the same day. then see what happens. to each his own. i do it mainly because i am doing something with my brew, meddling, so to speak.

You can lump me in that 3rd group. After reading 12,000 Revvy posts about the best beer on earth being primaried for 87 weeks I decided to try it. I used an established ESB recipe that won a first place several years ago, 10 gallons, same yeast in 2 buckets. Both were fermented at 62 degrees for 7 days and moved to 68 degrees for a week.

One batch was racked to secondary on Gelatin for a week and then kegged.

The second batch was left in the primary for 6 weeks and kegged. This second batch never cleared and reeked of rotten band-aids. I sampled it for 2 weeks after carbing and dumped it.

The first batch turned out great and I enjoyed the entire keg.

The long primary batch convinced me to never try it again. I secondary every non-wheat beer and am very happy with the results.

Wow. This is what I mean by the diversity in the debate. I hear of great stories and not so great stories - and then this. A terrible ending to an extended primary. I guess I'm still on the fence and will have to try both!

I've gone to a system where I have no primary and leave my beer in the secondary for about three weeks. Then I usually rack to a tertiary fermenter to cold condition for a few weeks before bottling.

Joe Dragon said:
McGreen,

Don't take any of these posts too seriously. The best brewers on this board do what's best to produce the best beers for them. When somebody posts that THIS is the best way to brew and ferment it's best to walk away. There is way too much chest beating and condescending attitude here.

When all else fails look for some advice from great brewers like Denny Conn who said this:

"I'm with you, Scooby, and it's not like I haven't done the 4 weeks in primary thing too. But I'm not dogmatic about it, I'm pragmatic...I do what works. If I'm not getting the clearing I want in primary, I have no problem with racking to a secondary. It's results that count, not rules."

Great quote. Thanks!

McGreen said:
Some people here need to chill. Instead of complaining on this thread just get the mods to take it down then. I didn't see a thread at the time and sorry I didn't check the history. That's why I am in the beginner's forum. I'm a beginner. I see lots of reposts here and the info is current and relevant. So seriously, what is the big deal? If I'm really ruining your day with this thread then you need to relax, grab a brew, and watch some Office or 30 Rock. I have Netflix on my Wii and it does wonders for the "this-freakin-guy-soured-my-day-with-his-repost-thread" emotion.

Where in the world is this coming from? You've received dozens of polite and informative replies to your question.

Throwing a little philosophy of science in here....

Here's where the philosophy of science point comes in (PhelankA7's comment made me think of this): you can never prove the null hypothesis.

Actually, you CAN prove the null hypothesis! At least, as well as you can "prove" anything else.

See this paper for some details: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19348549

(Yes, I am a science nerd).

TTB-J said:
Where in the world is this coming from? You've received dozens of polite and informative replies to your question.

From the last few. Did you read?

And yes, I have received an astronomical amount of awesome and helpful comments. But I've thanked those people more than a few times on this thread already. There have been a few who have just been unpleasant though. Maybe I jumped the gun. No disrespect to those who have been so helpful!

Back