Will the bugs survive temp. 100F ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piotr

Reaction score
I've heated my Ouid Bruin fermenter up to ~100F (accident - temp. controller issue).
Will all the bugs from Belgian Sour Mix survive this temperature?

And what now - shall I cool it down slowly or as fast as possible?

Shouldn't be an issue, the lactobacillus for one actually prefers it that hot or hotter. The yeast will survive, they are often rehydrated around that temperature. How long was it that warm? During primary fermentaiton or aging?

Overnight, and it is still around 95F.

The beer is on secondary, 12 days after pitching yeast, 7 days after racking & pitching "bugs"

It should be fine, but the less time it spends at temps above 75 the better.

The beer is on secondary, 12 days after pitching yeast, 7 days after racking & pitching "bugs"
nothin for nothin, but you should've left the beer in the primary for far longer than you did. having the extra yeast around will act as food for the wild things and be beneficial overall in the souring process. i usually rack sours after a month and i'm gonna change that to maybe around 6 months. just a heads up...

nothin for nothin, but you should've left the beer in the primary for far longer than you did. having the extra yeast around will act as food for the wild things and be beneficial overall in the souring process. i usually rack sours after a month and i'm gonna change that to maybe around 6 months. just a heads up...

Different people have different methods, there really isn’t one “right” answer to something like that. For example, Russian River does clean primary fermentation on their beers and gets them really bright before they barrel/bug them. I tend to do 2-3 weeks in primary for my sours, although for lambics I want that funkier flavor so I leave them in primary until they are ready for bottling or fruit.

Back