Will Stout cover high temp esters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed and AG oatmeal stout recipe a couple of days ago. I put it in a shallow container with some water and exchange frozen water bottles periodically. I looked at the temp on the side of my carboy today and it is off the chart. Somehow the fermentation was agressive enough to raise my temp well beyond what I intended. My question is will the general nature of stout be able to cover the esters created from high fermentation temp? I used S-04 which max fermentation temp is 75F.

I have a porter that's very banana-y right now. The porter character definitely comes through, but it doesn't cover the banana by any means.

Sure you didn't just get the thermometer wet? Those stick-on thermometers get ruined if they get submerged for any significant amount of time. Those things usually read up to 78F, so you'd need to be up around 80 to be off the scale completely, which is really high - is that realistic given room temperature where you are?

I can't comment on the thermometer, but I can tell you that esters tend to show up, one way or another, in any beer. Nothing really covers them up. However, they do fade with time.

TL

I hope your right Jaeger. I thought maybe it was something to do with the fermometer. That's the stick on, right? It seemed unusual to be at 80 to me. It was submerged in about 3 inches of water and it was in my basement. It couldn't be more than about 72 down there. I thought i just had an extraordinary fermentation that produced a lot of heat. I gues we'll see.

No, I'm in Indiana too and you've just gotten your thermometer wet. If it's in water then it's probably at about 65-70 degrees. I think you'll be just fine! Try setting a regular thermometer in the water and see what it reads. That'll help you know what's going on. :mug:

If it actually got up near 80, I would definitely expect some estery character (that should diminish with age). I was making a strong scotch ale with WLP028 and it got in the upper 70's, there were some banana notes at first but these subsided after a few weeks in the keg.

I hope your right Jaeger. I thought maybe it was something to do with the fermometer. That's the stick on, right? It seemed unusual to be at 80 to me. It was submerged in about 3 inches of water and it was in my basement. It couldn't be more than about 72 down there. I thought i just had an extraordinary fermentation that produced a lot of heat. I gues we'll see.

If the ambient temp is 72, 80 is not unheard of.

If you've had the fermometer submerged, it is ruined. I keep mine above level, but I ruined one once. It didn't give any reading at all when it was dead though.

I brewed an oatmeal stout last sunday, on tuesday temps were in mid-high 70's (76ish) then dropped to 69-70 the next day. I used Danstar Nottingham yeast.

I'm assuming now that I just ruined my fermometer. I had a t-shirt over the carboy in about 3 inches of water. But, how do I keep it from getting wet with this set up?

Back